First-time poster! Intex pool, newly set up, going green

Re: First-time poster! Intex pool, newly set up, going gree

Also, please elaborate on what you said here:

"Be aware that if you use dichloro or trichloro to add you stabilizer." Excuse my ignorance, but like I said, this is a new system to us. Is "stabilizer" a product I need to buy or is that another name for something I'm already using?

Per the swim party: Yes, as long as you can see the bottom of the pool from anywhere around the pool. Caveat--OLD swimsuits. the elevated chlorine could damage some of the newer swimsuits. Be ready to dose the pool again right after everyone is done swimming, as bather load tends to use up free chlorine.

The CYA or stabilizer. What you need to look for is sometimes called conditioner. Read the label. It should say cyanuric acid 99%, Inert ingredients 1%.

Dichloro and trichloro are stabilized forms of chlorine. Again, look at the list of ingredients. there should be NO copper listed anywhere. Both will add chlorine and cyanuric acid to your pool, the trichloro will ad the most, and will drive your pH down. If you use either, have some Borax on hand to counter the drop in pH.

The key here is test, adjust; test again, adjust; ad infinitum until your pool can pass the OCLT.

Charlie R, I got your response after the hubby had already been to the pool place. I told him to ask them for CA and told him the forms you mentioned. He's on his way home now (from an hour away -- where he works), but said the ingredients read as the following:
monosodium cyanurate monohydrate -- 35% (it has a star next to it that says "equivalent to 30% cyanuric acid"). It was expensive -- $37.
constituent ineffective as spray adjuvant -- 65%

It's called "instant conditioner." That's what they gave him when he asked for it. Another option is that we do have some chlorine tablets in the garage that we keep on hand for the septic tank. Not sure if they could be helpful here, but thought I'd mention it.

Trying to get this pull ready for these kids tomorrow...

Liquid CYA can be dosed directly into the pool. Check the pool calculator for how much you need. That stuff is the most expensive way to add CYA, though.

Dry CYA should be hung in an old sock or doubled women's stocking leg and hung by a return, in the flow.

Yes, test and adjust your FC level when he gets the bleach home. 30 minutes between additions, if liquid CYA, no waiting if dry CYA.

I sure do hope I've got this right. I'm about to add 4 lbs. of conditioner in a sock by the flow and another gallon of bleach, followed by a lot of sweeping and vacuuming either today or tomorrow.

Still not adding algaecide, although I am definitely tempted. ;) And really hoping this is going to be ready for the kids tomorrow....

Today's numbers:
TH -- 100
FC -- 3/6
PH -- 7.2
TA -- 120
CA -- about 10 or so

The last time we added anything was last night when we added 4 lbs. of CA and one gallon of bleach. Is it time now to start the salt water system?

Have you completed the shock process (I'm not really seeing from your posts that you have, or that you understand it)? I'm not sure what the FC of 3/6 means either.. is it 3, or is it 6?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I don't know where I'm at in the shock process, but the pool is blue and clear and the numberss look pretty good, right?

The 3/6 is just how my test strips show for the chlorine levels.

Don't turn on the saltwater system until you've gotten a real test kit (either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006) and have completed the shock PROCESS, which you cannot do with strips or just looking at the water. Given that you dumped an entire gallon of bleach in your pool yesterday and today your FC is only 3 suggests that you've got a fair amount of organics in your pool using it up.

The FAS-DPD is a titration method of determining FC and CC levels - there is no color comparison to judge, so the results are more accurate AND you can measure much much higher levels, which you will NEED to have to maintain a pool with a saltwater system.

What do you do? You hope your pool doesn't turn green again. The test may seem expensive but it pays for itself rather quickly when you can dose accurately instead of dumping and hoping to hit shock levels.

I don't know.. two days ago you post that you have a green pool and wanted help to fix it. You got good advice, you've made a small amount of progress so far, but don't seem to be willing to follow through with the rest of it?

Maybe you should just drain the pool before it becomes a bigger problem? That's probably the best advice anyone has until you get a test kit that can tell you that you've got your pool at shock level, you've kept it there until you can pass the OCLT and have less than .5 CC and clear water. Presently you can't do that.

I never said I'm not willing to follow through with anything. I'm not sure where you read that into my comment, Sarah. I am very grateful for all the help here, and am trying my best to follow all the instructions and advice down to the "t". But I was not at a point today a few hours ago where I could drive into town to try to track down this better testing system. I live out in the country and the nearest pool place is not close, and we had an urgent matter at the time in our family. And if I order off of Amazon, it will obviously take a few days to get here. I was just asking if there was something I could do in the meantime regarding the numbers I got with the test strips I have on hand. And I was asking how expensive the other test kit was. That's all. Sorry for any confusion. I thought we were looking pretty good today with the pool color and clarity and test numbers. I guess I misunderstood.

Have you ordered the test kit yet? All you can do is wait it out...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.