First time pool startup

So look at it this way. You need X amount of FC to clear your pool.

Everytime you drop 4 (etc), 4 is subtracted from X and X gets closer to zero (being finished). While it feels like a loss, it's actually progress.
For someone with no patience- this it tough hahah but all good. I’ve passed the urge to use clarifier so I have no choice but to wait :)

Reactions: newdude
Yeah, this is the point it gets hard. Time for POP.

Where are you at brushing the inside of ladders, behind lights, in the skimmer, removing and scrubbing the weir door?

Post a current picture of the door.

full
Just cleaned the doors with some chlorine. They were a bit slimy.

You have been backwashing the filter I suspect. That removes CYA each time. Not a lot, but eventually enough to see on the test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have not. Idk how to even get behind the light. We ended up sealing part of it - because of a leak so I’m not sure if I can even take it off 😔
Do you know the brand of the light? I do not know how to get it off but someone here probably has a similar one or knows how to get it off

Is the cloudy water eating at my FC too? Lost another 4ppm over night but Darn I find it hard to believe that some algea behind my light may be the sole cause of this haha. The lamp is probably 30 years old. And sealed into the pool due to an old leak- I don’t think I can remove it without a power tool (leading to pool draining).

You would be amazed at the junk that can grow behind a light, especially one that hasn't been opened in years. You should not lose 4 ppm over night.
Okay got it. Yeah after this year I’m actually draining and re painting the pool. So I’ll be replacing the light as well as it’s not functioning

Reactions: Texas Splash
This pool is painted? Realize that paint degrades and will cause cloudy water. Not FC loss, however.
It’s a gunnite pool. And it’s been painted blue, Is what it seems. Looks like they probably painted it themselves seeing the paint marks on some of my copping lol. Photo taken yesterday as part of my SLAM progress photo. Assuming this is blue “paint”. Unless it’s not paint and it’s something else. We just moved in last year which is why idk much about the pool other then it’s old

Attachments

• 2DC75D02-FCFD-46C6-B47C-2C42226BDB3A.jpeg
    2DC75D02-FCFD-46C6-B47C-2C42226BDB3A.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Day 2 of clearing overnight FC loss of under 1ppm. But the pool is still ridiculously cloudy. I have been doing some DE but that causes me to backwash every 45 minutes. Which in turn seems to bring my CYA down. Is it worth continuing the DE? Or it doesn’t actually do much in the long run except having me backwash every 45 mins

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.