First time pool owner startup - MD

That's a very good plan. Right, you don't have to do the first CYA test. The reason Jason suggested holding-off on the pH was just in case you end-up needing to SLAM (for algae). When we "SLAM" (link below) the pH needs to be 7.2-7.5, so we'll wait to see about that first so you don't end-up going up & down. This will all get better soon I promise. I bounced around on a couple things this morning which I'm sure didn't help. :hammer: Also, I checked the calculator and it looks like 5 lbs of stabilizer will increase your CYA by 25 ppm. So I would start with that (after the 10 min drill) and see what it increases to over the next couple days.

As for CCs ..... we like to have it no more than 0.5ppm. Since you're just opening-up this season, it may be slightly elevated at first. We'll focus more on that after you've completed the 10-min drill.

Looking forward a bit ...... once you complete the 10-min drill and we are assured there is no ammonia, there are a couple schools of thought that come next:
1. The pool looks otherwise sparkling clean & perfect to the eyes; adjust chemicals based on the TFP Recommended Levels chart (link below) and watch FC consumption. You might consider keeping FC slightly elevated from your normal "target" range for a day or two and monitor. If you appear to lose FC too quickly each day (more than 4 ppm per day), you can perform an overnight (OCLT) test to see if there is excessive FC consumption from algae present which would validate the need to do a SLAM.
2. If the water appears cloudy at all or you see algae in the water, then you know right away you need to perform a "SLAM".

So after the ammonia check later today, that's what we'll consider and help you with.

Holding FC now tells us you are well past the 10-min ammonia drill so that's good. While you wait for your FC to slowly drop a bit to your normal target level, just keep an eye on the condition of the water. If you see ANY cloudiness or green, it's SLAM time. Once your FC gets-down to your normal target area, watch how much gets used each day. If you find the FC dropping more than 4 ppm in 24 hours, do an overnight test to see if you have organics in the water. Any questions?

For your target level, always refer to the Chorine/CYA Chart (link below) because your CYA may change over time. But an example would be someone with a CYA of 40, their daily FC target is 5 ppm, so they may have their FC between 4-6 ppm throughout the day, but never go below 3. The numbers change based on the current CYA on that chart. If your CYA is at 30 or 40 right now, just leave it there for now. pH you should check often, if not everyday, perhaps every 2-3 days until you know your pH is steady.

my CYA is essentially zero right now. So i'll need to add that. When?

I was under the impression that pool water was unsafe to enter above 3ppm of FC? Based on the chart if my CYA is in the ideal 30-50ppm range, i'll need to keep FC between 4-6ppm?

Now i'm even more confused...:confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i should add that my wife has sensitive skin (eczema) and is concerned that high chlorine levels will affect her negatively... Please help me not mess this up or she won't trust me to take care of the pool myself lol. She's already concerned i chose not to consult with the local pool stores

Once you passed the 10-min ammonia drill you should've added the stabilizer. No worries, if you haven't, please do that right away via the sock method (soaking). Add enough for a CYA of 30 ppm. We already determined that your water is clear and algae-free for the moment right? So keep the FC at about 3 for today, then between 3-5 thereafter - never below 2 ppm. In a few days, verify your CYA to make sure it's at 30. If it's higher than 30, then you may need to increase your FC level slightly. ** If your water changes color, cloudy, or you see ANY potential alage, let us know right away. ** That's where the SLAM comes-in handy.

The FC/CYA relationship has been proven to keep water sanitary while protecting swimmers and pool equipment. But that's why that Chlorine/CYA Chart is so important. I keep a copy with my test kit at all times. Keep in mind that it's safe to be in water up to SLAM level! We don't normally do it, but it is, so you know the target level is fine. Later down the road, when you get the whole TFP process under your belt, you might consider investing in a SWG to produce your chlorine. Some people claim the added salt in the water helps people with skin conditions.

Ok. Ill continue to keep an eye on it through the weekend. Its supposed to be rainy and crappy through monday so as soon as it stops and gets sunny the cover is coming off for good and ill check where the cya ended up.

I'll keep FC in line with the chart assuming 30ppm cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.