First time pool owner, should I drain due to high CYA?

new2pool45

Jun 4, 2021
Tucson, Arizona
I bought this house with a pool a year ago (Tucson, AZ) and I'm completely over my head in maintaining it. I bought a Taylor Test Kit (had seen it recommended on here) and noticed my CYA is way high. Last time I checked, it was over 100. Should I do a partial drain to get it back to where it needs to be? Weather should be cooler next week (72 degrees for a couple days) and I bought a sump pump so I thought it would be a good time to drain if that's what's required. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am new to ALL of this and would appreciate gentle guidance on what to do. Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What is your CH?
Chances are it would be best to drain the entire pool and start fresh if the CH is 500+ and the CYAis high.

Please fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit. This will help us to better help you and not need to ask for this info repeatedly.

If you haven't already, have a look at:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PoolMath
FC/CYA Levels
Recommended Levels

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What is your CH?
Chances are it would be best to drain the entire pool and start fresh if the CH is 500+ and the CYAis high.

Please fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit. This will help us to better help you and not need to ask for this info repeatedly.

If you haven't already, have a look at:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PoolMath
FC/CYA Levels
Recommended Levels
I will do a complete water test today and get back with the results. :)

Check your fill water CH also. It's probably between 200 and 250 in Tucson.
Do you have a water softener you can plumb to your autofill?

Don't forget to fill out your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it safe to completely drain a plaster pool

Thousands of pools are replastered each year. They can't do it unless all the water is removed.

You only have to worry if you have a high water table, which is not going to be an issue in AZ.

You don't want to leave it empty and sitting in the sun for several days, but that should not be an issue with a little planning.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Aznewmom

Thousands of pools are replastered each year. They can't do it unless all the water is removed.

You only have to worry if you have a high water table, which is not going to be an issue in AZ.

You don't want to leave it empty and sitting in the sun for several days, but that should not be an issue with a little planning.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for your guidance. I will start draining the pool Tuesday. Clearly I'll make sure the pump is off, but is there anything else I need to be aware of before/during/after this process? I'll be using a sump pump.

Reactions: Aznewmom
CH fill water is 375
That seems real high for your area and may suggest testing error. @proavia may have a better idea of CH of muni water in your area.

Are you using a Speedstir or SmartStir? They really help to achieve accurate and consistent results. These devices swirl for you. For the CH test, proper mixing/swirling is critical to accurate results.

When performing the CH test (or any drop-based test), hold the reagent bottle completely vertical, squeeze just enough until the drops fall off the tip of the dropper. Drops should be spaced about one second apart. If you don't have a Smart Stir, make sure you swirl well between drops and watch closely for the color change. Make sure your sample is right at the 10mL line.

You'll likely need to drain anyways, but your CH may be lower than you think.

That seems real high for your area and may suggest testing error. @proavia may have a better idea of CH of muni water in your area.

Are you using a Speedstir or SmartStir? They really help to achieve accurate and consistent results. These devices swirl for you. For the CH test, proper mixing/swirling is critical to accurate results.

When performing the CH test (or any drop-based test), hold the reagent bottle completely vertical, squeeze just enough until the drops fall off the tip of the dropper. Drops should be spaced about one second apart. If you don't have a Smart Stir, make sure you swirl well between drops and watch closely for the color change. Make sure your sample is right at the 10mL line.

You'll likely need to drain anyways, but your CH may be lower than you think.
Could very well have been user error. Will report back once I fill the pool up and test water!

In Tucson, a CH of 375 seems a bit high. It's usually 250-ish.
Are you on a well or a private water company? City of Tucson water?

When testing, measure the sample size carefully, hold the reagent bottle perfectly vertical, apply slight pressure to dispense one drop about every second. Let the drop fully form on the tip, don't force it off.

Are you using a speedstir? If not, consider getting one. It will make your testing much more consistent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.