First time pool owner low vacuum pressure and air in return line

Yes taking it all the way down and doing a complet cleaning.

If the lube is silicone grease than Home Depot will carry it too.

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet lube.jpg
    Silicone Faucet lube.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 48
Hey guys,

Just took apart the filter and thoroughly cleaned it according to the manual following each step and put new leslies lube on it. Started it up again and added fresh D.E into the skimmer and the filter pressure is still about 20-21psi. I still dont have great suction in either skimmer even with the valve open towards the skimmer almost all the way. If i plug one skimmer I get excellent suction in the other skimmer but with both skimmers open the skimmer closest to the pump has a weak suction and I can't feel any suction at all in the skimmer farthest from the pump. If I plug the skimmer closest to the pump I get a good suction on the farther skimmer. Any ideas of what else I can try I'm at a lose over here but thanks to all of you guys I'm finally starting to understand the pool equipment I have and how it works

I'm half way across the country so I'm just going to take a guess at this. That pressure just seems too high. Now that the filter is clean another possible cause would be a restriction in the return line to the pool.

How many return jets do you have and if you remove the eyeball jets does the pressure drop at all ??
Are the jets openings fairly big or are they small ??

Attachments

• Return jet 1.jpg
    Return jet 1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Return jet 2.jpg
    Return jet 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 42
I have holes for what looks like 3 return jets with one of the jets being on the near side of the pool one on the fair side and one in the middle. The middle return has no eye on it and no water comes out of it so im unsure of what it is there for. My eyeshave smaller openings on them. I removed one eye and checked my pressure and it drops down to 15psi.

Try pulling both eyes out and then check your pressure and both your skimmers to see how they are doing. Might be the smaller jets you have are choking the system and it's why you don't have good suction in the skimmers. It would be great if all you had to do was buy two, four dollar bigger jets !! :party:

Is there a solid plug in it ?? Any idea if the pool might have had a heater on the equipment pad, is there a capped pipe near the pump ??

I pulled out both eyes and checked my pressure and it dropped from 20-21 psi down to 14-15. The suction in the skimmers was improved but it is still not enough to suck down bugs on the surface of the water in the skimmer. The middle return to the pool is not plugged it is open but there is a a capped pipe near the pump. The pool didnt have a heater on the equipment pad area because there is no enough room for one there.

Quick update: I was able to vacuum the entire pool today and got a good pressure while blocking the skimmer farthest from the pump. I noticed that after taking off the eyes the eye closest to the pump has no air bubbles coming out of it but the eye farthest from the pool has some coming out of it. I'm going to continue searching for air leaks but does this information help narrow down where it might be?

Sounds like you are going to need to buy two eyeball return jets of a larger size. If you had a leak it's likely only on the return line from the split with the closer return jet to that far one.

Most likely underground.

Well that's the uncommon problem you had. It seems you have smaller than normal return jets causing a restriction on the filter side (discharge side of pump) which drives up the pressure and also causes poor suction on the skimmer side of the pump (suction side of pump).

For the system to work properly you need to have a free flowing system with as little restriction as possible all the way from the skimmer to the return jet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys,

Another update. The larger return jet eyes have allowed my one skimmer to get excellent suction so I'm able to vacuum and it is now functioning well. The skimmer farthest from the pump still has poor suction though. To the point where a leaf floating in the skimmer wont even be sucked down into the basket. If I plug the skimmer closest to the pump the far skimmer will obtain excellent suction. What should my next step be?

With that dial a port valve have you figured out what port 1 controls and what port 2 controls ??

I'm guessing one is for the floor drain and the other is for both skimmers. If so then there isn't an easy want to equally split the suction in the skimmers.
I read about a flap that can be attacked inside the skimmer and adjusted over the intake to restrict it's intake. If you did something like that to the skimmer with the stronger suction to try and equalize the suction between the two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.