MassimoABQ

May 14, 2024
Albuquerque, NM
I just moved into a new house with a pool. I have successfully been able to clear the pool of winter algae and debris and have the chemicals stabilized for the most part.

Two problems. One is I need to replace the pump, the other is I can't figure out how to securely connect the vacuum hose to the side wall.

1. Pump/Filter. I have a very old pump that is to the best that I can tell unlabeled. I have a sand filter that I think needs to have the sand replaced soon. I am seeing some debris come from the return jets, and there is a lot of bubbling when the pump starts up. It does eventually maintain a full seal at the pump, but will occasionally lose pressure for no apparent reason. I want to upgrade the pump to a variable speed model if possible. I measured the voltage form the manual timer and believe it's a 115v output to the existing pump.

I am trying to find a pump that will work with my filter, without having to update the electrical. Filter sticker shows max 50 psi, design flow rate of 63 gpm. My pool parts are 1.5" PVC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Vacuum port. The house came with a basic vacuum that kind of bounces with the pressure from the pump. There is a valve on the side of the pool which the schematics mark as being for a vacuum. I bought a new hose from walmart and the port seems to be the exact same size as the hose. I bought a house connector adapter from Leslie's, but it fits loosely in the hole and will come out very easily. Any easy fix for this?

I am trying to find a pump that will work with my filter, without having to update the electrical. Filter sticker shows max 50 psi, design flow rate of 63 gpm. My pool parts are 1.5" PVC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You two options for a VSP and 115 service are:

You two options for a VSP and 115 service are:
Waterway PD165 will move more water than the Super Pump and Super Flo, as they are medium head pumps and it is a high-head pump that will work on 115V.
You need a Vac-Lok type of suction port cover (if you have a threaded port). It will close when the hose is removed for safety when the pump is running and people are in the pool, will "lock" closed if someone "plays with it (takes a screwdriver to open), and has a "tooth" on the cover to keep a suction cleaner hose in place. There are even aftermarket versions on Amazon for about $12.00.
1715814513056.png

Waterway PD165 will move more water than the Super Pump and Super Flo, as they are medium head pumps and it is a high-head pump that will work on 115V.
Thanks for this! i've looked and looked and asked other guides experts to find other vsp 115 options.

Reactions: 1poolman1