First time pool owner having trouble with Intellibrite Controller

[h=2][/h]
Hi everyone!

we are first time pool owners and are having one heck of a time hooking up our pool lights.we have the intellibrite Controller 600054 and transformer. When the breaker is on the lights come on (but stay blue). They green power button does not work to turn the lights on and off, only turning off the. Reader in the panel. Any ideas? The electrician hooked it all up, but the lights in the pool were no good so had to be changed. We just got the replacement lights, but of course the electrician is no longer here to look at anything for us (it took 5 weeks to get new lights​

i am having the exact same controller installed on Wednesday. I am by no means an electrician but I don't believe the controller needs a transformer. The controller is 120VAC. Only needs a transformer to control 12VAC lights. I will know for sure Wednesday when mine is installed!!!!!!!!!

NW,

I do not have the IntelliBrite lights nor the controller, but I did take a quick look at the manual and I am puzzled...

You say the green button will not turn the lights on, but then you say the blue light is on???

The green button appears to be just like the standard light switch in your home... It is either on or off. Are you saying that when you turn the breaker on, the blue light comes on and when you push the green button the blue light goes out, but when you push the green button again, the blue light does not come back on? I can't see how that can happen????

So when the blue light is on, what happens when you select a different color? Anything? Can you hear the relay inside the controller turning quickly turning on and off?

You may already know this, but you can control the IntelliBrite with a standard wall switch.. By turning the switch on and off a set number of times, you select the mode or color you want. For example Blue is 8 times, Green is 9 times, etc...

If this were my system, I would temporally take the controller out and install a standard on/off light switch. This would allow you to manually test to confirm all the lights were working and changing colors etc.

Assuming the manual switch worked, then I would have to assume the controller was bad... I can't see a way it could be installed wrong and still power the blue light you are seeing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I turn on the breaker the lights come on, but the green button in the controller does nothing (won't turn lights off or on). Also the colours don't change. The electrician says it is hooked up properly, but wondering if either, 1) we don't need the transformer and should hook the lights up directly to the controller or 2) the controller is faulty. I should also add the controller appears to have power (the lights on the controller are functioning - the tiny green lights above hold and recall and the actual on/off switch is illuminated)

Nicole,

I took a quick look at the schematic in the manual, and it appears to me that if the Green on/off button is not turning the lights off, then there are only two options... If the schematic is correct, all the power to the light has to pass through the Green button.... So either the button is not working at all or the controller is miss-wired.

I vote for being miss-wired... I suspect that the red and black wires coming out of the controller are tied together..

Can you remove the controller?.. Just two screws and it should pop right out. Then post a picture of the wiring. There are no "hot" terminals so you can't get shocked..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nicole,

I can't tell in the picture, but maybe you can in person..

The back wire coming from the controller should be connected to the back wire coming out of the white Romex cable going into the bottom of the outlet box..

The red wire from the controller should be connected to the black wire coming out of the black cable going into the bottom of the outlet box.

Since the two wires are both black I can't tell which is which.

I don't see anything obvious like I was hoping for... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Niccle,

Any chance you still have the box. The lights come in 120v and 12v. Mine was labelled 120v right on the box. The 120V has an internal transformer. Here is an excerpt form the manual.

The two models of IntelliBrite® Pool LED light are:IntelliBrite® Pool LED Light, 120 VAC, with integrated 12 VAC transformer, 50 ft. cord length* (P/N 600101)IntelliBrite® Pool LED Light, 12 VAC, (requires a 12 VAC 60 Hz [50 Hz where applicable] external isolating safetytransformer), 50 ft. cord length* (P/N 600104) — (*) cord length vary from 30 ft. to 100 ft.

It is also possible as stated above that the controller is just bad. That can be checked by installing a switch in its place like stated above.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.