First-time Pool Owner attempting to open

There should be a dot on the bottom. I don't have that test block but perhaps it fell off or is a defective block. Here's what it should look like. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

Numbers look pretty good other than you NEED to get some FC in there ASAP. Check the CYA/Chlorine chart for your minimum and target FC levels. Use Pool Math to bring your FC up to 4 ppm. Your TA is rather high so you may experience some fast pH rise once you start the pool running, but just maintaining your pH will bring it down. Any time the pH rises above 7.8, drop it down to 7.0 or 7.2 with muriatic acid (more Pool Math). Every time you add acid, your TA will be reduced. No need to worry about your CH.

Looks like you were correct. Checked PH today and it seems to be around 7.8 to 8.0 now.
So what you're suggesting is that if I lower it with acid, TA will go down and it shouldn't rise as quickly at that point as it has now?

I also found we lost a fair amount of FC during the day the past couple days, but it has been really hot and sunny out. Is there a rough amount we should expect to lose during the day or is that number all over the map?

Other than that, we are super clear now! Thanks for all the help with opening.

So what you're suggesting is that if I lower it with acid, TA will go down and it shouldn't rise as quickly at that point as it has now?
Basically yes. You can learn more on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.
Is there a rough amount we should expect to lose during the day or is that number all over the map?
When a pool is confirmed as algae-free, we don't like to lose any more than 4 ppm of FC in a 24 hr period. If that happens with no algae (passed OCLT), then perhaps it's time to increase CYA a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.