May 8, 2023
Collegeville, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello
We purchased our house a week before the pool needed to be closed last year. We were anxious to open it, and youtube and forums made it look relatively simple. Of course it wasnt..
Wanted to see if someone might be able to help with a few questions, or point me in the right direction.

1. When we were ready to turn the filter on, water was pretty aggressively coming out of the sides at the band clamp. Do closing companies typically loosen this bolt for the winter? I tightened the bolt as much as I could with a wrench (is that ok?, should it be as tight as possible?) and knocked the band clamp with a mallet to tighten a bit more, but still getting a good amount of water coming out of the sides. Maybe an O ring issue?

2. The return jets that we have do not have threads. They are just a little bulb, but borderline impossible to get into the spa. There is a pvc pipe I can see in the 6 spa holes, but forcing these in isnt working. Tried some lubricant as well with no luck. Is there a trick to these, or just keep forcing?

Attaching pictures if helpful.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230508_074454.jpg
    20230508_074454.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230508_074728.jpg
    20230508_074728.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 16
When we were ready to turn the filter on, water was pretty aggressively coming out of the sides at the band clamp. Do closing companies typically loosen this bolt for the winter? I tightened the bolt as much as I could with a wrench (is that ok?, should it be as tight as possible?) and knocked the band clamp with a mallet to tighten a bit more, but still getting a good amount of water coming out of the sides. Maybe an O ring issue?
Those center clamps can be a bit frustrating and finicky. You may have to open it up completely to inspect the clamp for any defects and ensure it is clean and smooth in the groove. You may need to apply a thin coating of pool lube as well. Yes, tapping with a rubber mallet around the circumference can help to "seat" the band clamp around the filter. Tighten as you can with a reasonable snug/tight force. Nothing too extreme.

The return jets that we have do not have threads. They are just a little bulb, but borderline impossible to get into the spa. There is a pvc pipe I can see in the 6 spa holes, but forcing these in isn't working. Tried some lubricant as well with no luck. Is there a trick to these, or just keep forcing?
Hummm. The stem of those fittings look like they need some cleaning, but you are saying you can't even get them started? Let me ask @Newdude what he thinks.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: pcweldon
Hello
We purchased our house a week before the pool needed to be closed last year. We were anxious to open it, and youtube and forums made it look relatively simple. Of course it wasnt..
Wanted to see if someone might be able to help with a few questions, or point me in the right direction.

1. When we were ready to turn the filter on, water was pretty aggressively coming out of the sides at the band clamp. Do closing companies typically loosen this bolt for the winter? I tightened the bolt as much as I could with a wrench (is that ok?, should it be as tight as possible?) and knocked the band clamp with a mallet to tighten a bit more, but still getting a good amount of water coming out of the sides. Maybe an O ring issue?

2. The return jets that we have do not have threads. They are just a little bulb, but borderline impossible to get into the spa. There is a pvc pipe I can see in the 6 spa holes, but forcing these in isnt working. Tried some lubricant as well with no luck. Is there a trick to these, or just keep forcing?

Attaching pictures if helpful.
Thank you!
There should be a rubber gasket on the filter? Lots of times rubber seals are removed and stored for winter. Maybe they did that here?

Reactions: pcweldon
Those center clamps can be a bit frustrating and finicky. You may have to open it up completely to inspect the clamp for any defects and ensure it is clean and smooth in the groove
+1. I also have to consciously think to not place the top down on the open end because the gasket and lube will pick up any debris / dirt / mulch that's under it, fouling up the seal when you put it back together.

When they put it back together for closing, they likely just assembled it without too much care of getting it properly sealed because they were taking it out of service at the time.
The stem of those fittings look like they need some cleaning
They also look like they've seen better days and are one piece without anything to adjust. It's probably time for new ones if you cant clean them up. Eyeballs are traditionally cheap so they shouldn't break the bank at $8 (?) each.

+1. I also have to consciously think to not place the top down on the open end because the gasket and lube will pick up any debris / dirt / mulch that's under it, fouling up the seal when you put it back together.

When they put it back together for closing, they likely just assembled it without too much care of getting it properly sealed because they were taking it out of service at the time.

They also look like they've seen better days and are one piece without anything to adjust. It's probably time for new ones if you cant clean them up. Eyeballs are traditionally cheap so they shouldn't break the bank at $8 (?) each.
Are those stem fittings the style I’ve seen guys pop back in with a rubber mallet? Seems like they’d be hard to remove.

Reactions: Newdude
There should be a rubber gasket on the filter? Lots of times rubber seals are removed and stored for winter. Maybe they did that here?
Lol that was the issue.. popped the lid off and there was the gasket.. put on some lubricant and tightened back up. Still some water dripping out so might have to try again

From a fellow newbie filter experience - that seal has to be really clean top and bottom and the o ring….no debris or dust. And be generous with the lube on the o ring. Also the clamp should be tightened to where the spring coils touch each other.

That first time was a learning experience for me 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.