CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi everyone, as I said in the pool opening pics thread, we had more slack in the cover than we wanted over the winter because our pool patio was just wrapping up (diy) when we closed for the winter. So the winter cover pump, pumped out more water than we wanted and some leaves got in there.

We got the pump up and running, backwashed the filter and tested around noon:

FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.2

at this point we used pool math to add liquid chlorine, targeting 5ppm. We landed at 6ppm, probably because the pool wasn't finished filling.

We continued to add water to get us to normal operating levels and at 8pm we had:

FC - 4
CC - 0
pH - 7.2

We cleared out the leaves, vacuumed and brushed down the pool.

Pump has been running all night. Not quite at 24 hours yet so will do the full chemical test around lunch.

Attachments

• 20240414_083647.jpg
    20240414_083647.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240414_083632.jpg
    20240414_083632.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 20
Update with the first real test:

FC - 4
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 125
CYA - 25
SALT - 1000
Temp - 54F

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Pool is still pretty clear, still trying to get the sediment off the bottom, the vacuum that came with the house is a piece of junk...

So TA is too high according to the pool math calculator. Do i need to aerate to raise pH, the lower TA? Then add more CYA (which will then raise TA??)

🤯

So TA is too high according to the pool math calculator.
It's fine. Manage the PH in the 7s and the TA will settle the rest of the way on its own.

The rest of the numbers look good. CYA under 30 is sketchy at best. I'd add 5 to 10 ppm CYA and see if you can make it a solid 30.

keep fc away from Swampville. I mean minimum.

lc_chart.jpg

still trying to get the sediment off the bottom, the vacuum that came with the house is a piece of junk...
Is it the one that goes in the skimmer ? Do you have multiple legs such as 2 skimmers and a main drain ? You need to close everything but the one you're sucking with.

It's fine. Manage the PH in the 7s and the TA will settle the rest of the way on its own.

The rest of the numbers look good. CYA under 30 is sketchy at best. I'd add 5 to 10 ppm CYA and see if you can make it a solid 30.

View attachment 564771

Is it the one that goes in the skimmer ? Do you have multiple legs such as 2 skimmers and a main drain ? You need to close everything but the one you're sucking with.
Thank you for the reply! I added about 2lbs of granular CYA via the sock method this morning and enough chlorine to get me to 6ppm. Didnt have too much time before I had to leave for the office, will chek as soon as I get home.

Reactions: Newdude

View attachment 564771

About the vacuum, we have one skimmer. The vacuum hose has a plate like fitting that futs in there. I think my issues are more the vintage 1995 vacuum head that came with the house.

Ok. With a SS pump I liked the rectangle head with wheels. With a VS pump, I like the Hayward triangle vac head with brushes. That one sticks with too much flow and if you can have the ability to dial it in, it kills two birds by brushing and vacuuming.

Ok. With a SS pump I liked the rectangle head with wheels. With a VS pump, I like the Hayward triangle vac head with brushes. That one sticks with too much flow and if you can have the ability to dial it in, it kills two birds by brushing and vacuuming.
We have a single speed pump for now, I reused the pump and the sand filter when we renovated the pool. I will upgrade the pump when it wears out. We have a triangle head of some kind.

How long do you think it will take for the CYA to dissolve through the socks? I have been squeezing them as much as possible but there is still quite a bit in there?

Also when do you think I can get a meaningful CYA measurement? I read it can take a week for the granules to dissolve?

Right now we have FC of 7 and CC of 0, pool is clear but we are getting a black sediment that accumulates in the corners and clouds up the pool when we brush. It doesnt seem to ge going away.

Thank you for the help!!!

How long do you think it will take for the CYA to dissolve through the socks? I have been squeezing them as much as possible but there is still quite a bit in there?
Let them soak tonight and tomorrow they'll squish out in no time. It takes longer with cool water.
Also when do you think I can get a meaningful CYA measurement? I read it can take a week for the granules to dissolve?
It can be a week when dumped in the skimmer as the bag says. It gets trapped in the filter that way. Using the sock method, it needs a day to mix once the sock is empty.

Right now we have FC of 7 and CC of 0, pool is clear but we are getting a black sediment that accumulates in the corners and clouds up the pool when we brush. It doesnt seem to ge going away.
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure it's environmental and not algae.

Let them soak tonight and tomorrow they'll squish out in no time. It takes longer with cool water.

It can be a week when dumped in the skimmer as the bag says. It gets trapped in the filter that way. Using the sock method, it needs a day to mix once the sock is empty.

So last night we had FC -7, CC - 0

This morning we had FC - 7 and CC - 0.5

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesomesauce. Now you don't need to wonder if it's algae or pollen for a week or so. Repaeat OCLT if neccesary for next week. Elevate the FC a little in the meantime just because.

Then have a beverage and wait out the filter doing its thing. :cheers:

Reactions: kevinanton7

Any ideas on the black sediment? Why wouldnt the filter take it out?

Edit: just saw your post, will keep vacuuming and brushing and get the FC up a bit. Thanks!

Last edited:
I
Why wouldnt the filter take it out?
It's heavy (relatively speaking) and settled on the floor. Brushing it will stir it up in the hopes it finds its way to the skimmer, but if the cloud stays low, it may take many tries.

And/or vacuuming

I

It's heavy (relatively speaking) and settled on the floor. Brushing it will stir it up in the hopes it finds its way to the skimmer, but if the cloud stays low, it may take many tries.

And/or vacuuming
So the CYA dissolved yesterday. We didn't have enough to get up to 'normal'. This morning we had the following:

FC - 8
CC - 0
pH - 7.3ish (between 7.2 and 7.5)
TA - 90
CYA - 50
Salt - did not recheck, won't mess with that until everything else is sorted.

Our brand new EVO 614 has been doing a great job of vacuuming up the black sediment in the corners. Pool is pretty darn clear, maaayyybe the deep end could look a tiiiiny bit more clear.

Where do I go from here? I know I need to get the CYA up a bit more, how long should I wait before adjusting again? I was considering to keep it in the lower end of the recommended range for salt water pools since I (as of today) have gotten our autocover working and there should be a lot less sunlight degradation. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I know I need to get the CYA up a bit more, how long should I wait before adjusting again?
50 CYA is fine up here until the heat spikes. It could be late may or late June. Wait and see until the FC doesn't hold as well.
was considering to keep it in the lower end of the recommended range for salt water pools since I (as of today) have gotten our autocover working and there should be a lot less sunlight degradation. Thoughts?
That's a factor that changes your equation. (y) Be mindful if you run a lower CYA if you open the pool for a full weekend to swim, say, because guests came to hang out. You'll need to stay on top of the FC loss more than you would have with a handful of 1 hour swims like normal.

I would treat the cover as two totally seperate experiences..... open and closed. You need to know how it responds both ways, and that's where people flounder. They get fixated on the autocover allowing them to run less CYA/FC, which is true...... when it's closed. Then they open it to swim 10A to 5P and it's no longer covered.

But when you all get home a but early in the late afternoon and swim before dinner, that loss won't be much compared to if you did the same at lunch.

It takes time and some paying attention to know, and you'll get that experience under your belt if you're paying attention. :)

Reactions: kevinanton7