First time owner opening up pool

I'm in Pasadena! I have a picture from today but cannot upload just yet. Just have to wait for the supporter perks to kick in!

Tested when I first got home ~4pm and got:

FC - 13.5
CC - 1.5

Tested again before sundown:
FC - 19.5
CC - 1.0

Definitely improving!

Here's a progress pic from this afternoon:

2018-05-01 17.53.17.jpg

This afternoon I measured:

FC - 13.5
CC - 0.5

Just now I measured:

FC - 18.5
CC - 0.5

Back up to 20! After vacumming and cleaning the cartridges today I noticed that the pipe leading into the filter splits between the filter and one of the returns. I set it to all flow into the filter thinking that will help clear it up a little faster. Excited to see what it looks like tomorrow!

Keep going and be patient, my SLAM took 11 days and my pool started in a better shape than yours. More like it is in your last picture.

It can take also take a couple of days to pass the Over night test even if the water is crystal clear.

Keep us posted !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Measured 10 FC and 0.5 CC when I got home from work this afternoon. Here is what it looked like:

2018-05-03 18.41.48.jpg

No more green! Still a little cloudy. Overshot my chlorine a little bit, just measured 21 FC and 0.5 CC. We will see what measurements I get in the morning!

Just read through your thread and wow your pool has improved a lot. Deck also looks 100 times better too. :salut: Once you're done with your slam and pass your OCLT, you should be able to tell heads or tails on a quarter in your deep end, whereas originally you'd have wondered where the quarter disappeared to, and if the Loch Ness monster ate it, lol. As long as you keep your FC within range for your CYA, you'll never have to see green swamp like that again.

Also, didn't notice anyone mention it already, but when you think you've completed your SLAM, make sure your CC is .5ppm or less, you can see the bottom of your pool clearly, and you can pass an OCLT. This means means that after the sun goes down, you test your FC and CC, and then don't add any chlorine after that test. In the morning, before the sun rises, test your FC and CC again. CC should be .5ppm or less, and your FC shouldn't have dropped by more than one. If you fail either of those, slam another day and try again the next night.

Check for any visible algae on the foam on your skimmer weir, under the steps of any ladders, around any lights, and anywhere else that algae could hide at. If there's any visible algae hidden in those areas, your pool will end up green again.

Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been keeping the SLAM going for the last few days. Here is what it looks like now:

2018-05-08 17.38.58.jpg

No more cloudiness! Probably a stupid question, but should the water be this blue? I don't remember what it looked like last year. But the plaster is white so I thought it would be whiter. Not that I really care, just want to make sure! If all looks good and I pass the OCLT tonight, am I good to let the FC drift back down to normal levels and start adjusting other things?

CC less than or equal to 0.5 and crystal clear to the bottom, yep!

Everything looks bluer with water in it. I recently drained some water I was surprised how white my plaster is without water, it really does blue it up.

CC less than or equal to 0.5 and crystal clear to the bottom, yep!

Everything looks bluer with water in it. I recently drained some water I was surprised how white my plaster is without water, it really does blue it up.

FC loss of 1 or less overnight, CC of .5 or less, and no cloudiness/very clear

Mhiggy, when you're doing your OCLT, make sure first measurement is at least 30 mins after last addition of chlorine and 30mins after sun is down, when it's really getting dark outside. Your morning measurement needs to be before the sky starts lightening up and the sun comes up. With FC up there at shock levels, the UV light from the sun quickly starts degrading that excess FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.