First time fill chemical questions. Need advice. Thanks

Here is your pot of gold:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

THIS ^^^^^^ will get your pool clear. There is no way to tell how long it will take. IF you can test and redose at least 4 times a day that would be best. The more you can test and redose the faster it will go.

the most important pare of the SLAM is the M=maintain as in maintain the FC at or just above the SLAM level.

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have.

Kim:cat:

Here is your pot of gold:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

THIS ^^^^^^ will get your pool clear. There is no way to tell how long it will take. IF you can test and redose at least 4 times a day that would be best. The more you can test and redose the faster it will go.

the most important pare of the SLAM is the M=maintain as in maintain the FC at or just above the SLAM level.

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have.

Kim:cat:
Should I wait to do this since I just dissolved 4lbs of CYA using sock method last night? The HTH Stabilizer from walmart estimates my CYA at 22.8ppm after this addition. Should I buy some more CYA tomorrow and add what they recommend to get to 30ppm(looks like another 20oz)? I thought it said I couldn't get an accurate reading for a few days due to the cya getting stuck on the filter. If I should wait until adding the remaining CYA to get to 30ppm, how long after I make the required addition before slamming?

Thanks for walking me through this! Is it weird that I'm kind of looking forward to my first slam!

Should I wait to do this since I just dissolved 4lbs of CYA using sock method last night? The HTH Stabilizer from walmart estimates my CYA at 22.8ppm after this addition. Should I buy some more CYA tomorrow and add what they recommend to get to 30ppm(looks like another 20oz)? I thought it said I couldn't get an accurate reading for a few days due to the cya getting stuck on the filter. If I should wait until adding the remaining CYA to get to 30ppm, how long after I make the required addition before slamming?

Thanks for walking me through this! Is it weird that I'm kind of looking forward to my first slam!
SLAM at 10 FC until you can add more CYA to get it to 30, then go up to 12 FC to SLAM. Every minute you delay, the algae will grow a little more.

Slam has begun! Raised FC to 10. I can only check 3 x per day due to work. I lowered my ph (Muriatic Acid) due to raising to 9.6 with aeration today. I will add CYA when I get home and adjust FC to 12.
My CC went from 0 to .2 in about 7hrs today.

Wanted to get everything back under control before posting again.
I ran out of R0871 to test my FC and CC so I had to guess on chlorine addition for the past 4 days! R0871 just arrived so I tested:
PH:7.2 Using aeration to lower TA with MA.
TA: 130 this was at 240 so the process is working great.
FC: 9.2 I overshot a little here but my range says 3 - 7 for 35ppm CYA.
CC: ZERO
CYA: 35
Temp: 76degrees
Water: Crystal Clear

Is it safe to swim if the FC is at 9.2 or should I wait until its back down to 7 or lower? I know the water is a little cold, but I want to jump in soo bad after working to get everything done! lol

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.