First time closing pool by myself

Interesting, How do you prevent all the water from gushing out before you can screw the plug in?
I don’t lol 😂- gotta be quick!
I have valves installed right at the wall now so I close the valves and remove all the rest of the plumbing then I only need to unscrew the valve. I get it real close to being out then unscrew it the rest of the way with my left hand while I have the plug ready to go in my right hand (with plenty of teflon tape already applied). I don’t get as wet as you’d think.
The OP doesn’t have any valves at the wall so a rubber plug or a rag would be helpful to stop/slow the flow after removing the hose & subsequently loosening & unscrewing the barbed fitting with channel locks before installing the threaded plug.
After the first time doing that & getting soaked I went to the hardware store & got valves!
The OP should do the same before spring startup. At least for the bottom one since its nearly impossible to plug it from the inside if you need to replace a busted hose or something. Even when the water is warm I can barely get myself down there to try and unscrew the eyeball. I am too boyant I guess!
They have more space to work with than me since mine is buried & very close to the ground on the outside so it would be a little easier.

That port has nothing to do with a salt de withfunction. I would do as @Mdragger88 recommended above and simply plug it. No worries.
Yes Absolutely I have bought everything I need but the vital thing I need to know and I would really appreciate anyone who knows anything about this “hole”and I will plug it but I need to know if can I plug it from the outside with an expandable plug? The water is so cold so it would be unsafe to even try to get to near bottom of the pool.

Interesting, How do you prevent all the water from gushing out before you can screw the plug in?
This is the first time I have closed by myself but I have had it closed by a pool company every year and I wouldn’t think a worker would drain the pool down to about 1/3 to close that hole. I have been at the pool every time it’s been opened and the water has been just below the skimmer. Do you know of anyone who might know about this?

Yes Absolutely I have bought everything I need but the vital thing I need to know and I would really appreciate anyone who knows anything about this “hole”and I will plug it but I need to know if can I plug it from the outside with an expandable plug? The water is so cold so it would be unsafe to even try to get to near bottom of the pool.
You must use a threaded plug to plug it from the outside as an expandable plug could get pushed out from the water pressure
IMG_8117.png

Reactions: Unbakedpegga
You must use a threaded plug to plug it from the outside as an expandable plug could get pushed out from the water pressure
View attachment 539215
Praise God I will go and order it right now from Amazon. So when I take that hose off will the water blow me across the yard? I just disconnect it and have the plug ready

Praise God I will go and order it right now from Amazon. So when I take that hose off will the water blow me across the yard? I just disconnect it and have the plug ready
Not quite but you might get wet!
Definitely have the plug ready and put some wraps of teflon on it in advance.
I suggest that you remove the hose clamp & the hose & quickly shove a rag/ rubber plug in the barbed fitting that goes in the wall to slow the water while you work on loosening the barbed fitting from the return fitting as it will require channel locks.
This is the fitting you’re removing & replacing with the plug.
IMG_8150.jpeg
Leslie’s & other local pool stores usually have the threaded plugs.
You might want to have 2 pairs of channel locks- normal size (420 or 430) for loosening the barbed fitting & tightening the plug & a big pair(size 440) for holding the wall fitting nut so it doesn’t turn- i have also used an oil filter wrench like this which has worked well for the wall fitting nut
.IMG_8151.jpeg

Gather up all your stuff before you begin.
Add the plugs for the top return & skimmer or drain the water below them 1st before removing & plugging the bottom return so that the only water draining from the pool itself will be out of the hole you’re plugging.

Reactions: Bperry
Not quite but you might get wet!
Definitely have the plug ready and put some wraps of teflon on it in advance.
I suggest that you remove the hose clamp & the hose & quickly shove a rag/ rubber plug in the barbed fitting that goes in the wall to slow the water while you work on loosening the barbed fitting from the return fitting as it will require channel locks.
This is the fitting you’re removing & replacing with the plug.
View attachment 539294
Leslie’s & other local pool stores usually have the threaded plugs.
You might want to have 2 pairs of channel locks- normal size (420 or 430) for loosening the barbed fitting & tightening the plug & a big pair(size 440) for holding the wall fitting nut so it doesn’t turn- i have also used an oil filter wrench like this which has worked well for the wall fitting nut
.View attachment 539295

Gather up all your stuff before you begin.
Add the plugs for the top return & skimmer or drain the water below them 1st before removing & plugging the bottom return so that the only water draining from the pool itself will be out of the hole you’re plugging.
OK gulp I will do it. What is a barbed fitting? I am attaching th things I have. Does this look like the plug? I know I won’t get a definitive answer but just from glance. I’ve got enough tools I’m pretty sure. I have the oil filter pliers, big vice grips and an assortment of pliers plus channel lock pliers. These hoses are held on with big clamps. Should I maybe spray everything with WD40? And do I plug the return hose hole and the jet hose hole from the outside oh well shoot just remove all of the hoses(3) and use the skimmer plate cover . Leave skimmer open with no basket and lower water level to a couple of inches below the bottom of the skimmer. Make sure water is in removed from pump basket, drain sand filter with plug on bottom . I plan to take all of that to my shed, the sand filter doesn’t seem too awful heavy when there is no water in it (put all plugs in pump basket). It’s not in the right order. I just put things loosely here. Does it look like I am missing anything? Disregard that loose hose laying on the ground.
ps: what is the first pic at the beginning of your post ? It looks like a white hard plastic tube(?) Oh, and if you never see me here again it’s been nice knowing you😉image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The jet fitting looks like this
IMG_8165.jpeg
Here’s the barbed fitting that is currently on your pool (or one similar)
IMG_8150.jpeg
You must remove the hose by loosening the clamp then unscrew the barbed fitting & screw the threaded plug in its place

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you have an aquadoor replacement lid. You must also have the skimmer face plate “receiver” for it or it will not work
IMG_8166.jpeg
To install the skimmer faceplate “receiver” initially you must lower the water level below the skimmer. The pics of your skimmer don’t look like one is already installed.

It looks like you have an aquadoor replacement lid. You must also have the skimmer face plate “receiver” for it or it will not work
View attachment 539471
To install the skimmer faceplate “receiver” initially you must lower the water level below the skimmer. The pics of your skimmer don’t look like one is already installe
I won’t be doing this today then. I just ordered the cover I did because it’s measurement were what I needed. If an a“receiver” is needed where do I attach it. I can’t drill screw holes in the pool wall. It is a Hayward pool. I will have to step back and see. The jet fitting I see has a large jet circle with a non working light in the middle of it but I don’t see any flat surface to use pliers on? The weather here has been in the 70’s and I need to get this done before it turns off cold which it Wii do sometimes overnight. My grandaughters boyfriend is coming to help me get the cover on Saturday before he goes out of town. So my time frame is limited. If you would send any knowledge you have about those 2 things as soon as you have time I would be forever grateful 💐

The jet fitting looks like this
View attachment 539467
Here’s the barbed fitting that is currently on your pool (or one
You must remove the hose by loosening the clamp then unscrew the barbed fitting & screw the threaded plug in its place
How do I cap this? I just cant
Leave it like that after I remove the hose? Right?

The aquadoor skimmer receiver plate replaces the skimmer face plate you currently have. You must drain the water below the skimmer, remove the current plate, & install the Aqua door receiver plate. Every season thereafter you can leave the water level as is & just snap on the Tupperware style cover. But for initial installation you must lower the water.

You don’t use pliers on the return with the light. You either drain below it & leave it alone or follow these winterizing instructions

The pliers are for the bottom return.

***I would suggest that this season you simply drain below the skimmer & top return & only have to worry about plugging the bottom return.
This will give you time to order & install the correct aquadoor faceplate receiver for your skimmer (there are different sizes) they are sold as a set. You can return the cover you bought. You can fool with the aquadoor if you wish in the spring before refilling the pool.

Reactions: Bperry and Newdude
@Unbakedpegga
Made this for you - hope it helps with your bottom return
Let me try to understand, you are demonstrating on the top hose and separating everything and you remove the top hose and attach it at the bottom hole, what happens at that top port you just took the hose off of? It is not clicking. I am stuck What did I miss? I feel like going and have a cigarette and I’ve never smoked a day in my life. I have to do this there isn’t anyone to help or do it for me

The aquadoor skimmer receiver plate replaces the skimmer face plate you currently have. You must drain the water below the skimmer, remove the current plate, & install the Aqua door receiver plate. Every season thereafter you can leave the water level as is & just snap on the Tupperware style cover. But for initial installation you must lower the water.

You don’t use pliers on the return with the light. You either drain below it & leave it alone or follow these winterizing instructions

The pliers are for the bottom return.

***I would suggest that this season you simply drain below the skimmer & top return & only have to worry about plugging the bottom return.
This will give you time to order & install the correct aquadoor faceplate receiver for your skimmer (there are different sizes) they are sold as a set. You can return the cover you bought. You can fool with the aquadoor if you wish in the spring before refilling the pool.

Let me try to understand, you are demonstrating on the top hose and separating everything and you remove the top hose and attach it at the bottom hole, what happens at that top port you just took the hose off of? It is not clicking. I am stuck What did I miss? I feel like going and have a cigarette and I’ve never smoked a day in my life. I have to do this there isn’t anyone to help or do it for me
This picture of my setup. Where I have the arrow is my light/jet return. If that is the return what is that port beneath it?

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 5
I’m using my top return to demonstrate what you need to do to your bottom return. On my pool they are both the same.
On your bottom return you currently have-
a hose connected to a barbed fitting which is screwed into your return fitting - you must remove the hose by loosening the metal hose clamp,
unscrew the barbed fitting,
& screw in the threaded plug you purchased.
Your top return is different- for it you either need to drain the water below it or do as described in the “winterizing an aqualuminator pool light” video.

I’m using my top return to demonstrate what you need to do to your bottom return. On my pool they are both the same.
On your bottom return you currently have-
a hose connected to a barbed fitting which is screwed into your return fitting - you must remove the hose by loosening the metal hose clamp,
unscrew the barbed fitting,
& screw in the threaded plug you purchased.
Your top return is different- for it you either need to drain the water below it or do as described in the “winterizing an aqualuminator pool light” video.
Do you by any chance know what the 3rd hose is for ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.