First time closing - need help removing step return jets

Oct 11, 2023
Calverton, NY
Hi,

I am closing the pool for the first time myself this season. So far, I’ve:

1) remove pool equipment except for heater and SWG
2) drained skimmer and main drain. Added anti freeze and put gizmo on skimmer.
3) drained return jets and added anti freeze

I’ve drained the jets to the pool steps jets but I can’t remove the jets, so I can’t plug it up. Any suggestion on how to remove these jets?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 14
Hi,

I am closing the pool for the first time myself this season. So far, I’ve:

1) remove pool equipment except for heater and SWG
2) drained skimmer and main drain. Added anti freeze and put gizmo on skimmer.
3) drained return jets and added anti freeze

I’ve drained the jets to the pool steps jets but I can’t remove the jets, so I can’t plug it up. Any suggestion on how to remove these jets?

Thanks
That jet already appears broken. It should un-thread, but may be frozen. Perhaps some Flex Tape over the port. WD40 should remove any residue when the tape is removed.

Reactions: Newdude
@JamesW , Thank you very much. The pointer to the tool is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a spanner tool but probably will probably work a better. Fingers crossed this works. Will need to get a new fitting for the next season too.

@1poolman1 , thank you also. The flextape would have been my fallback option to keep the water out. Too bad I didn’t paid attention to what the pool company did the last 2 years.

The retaining ring has 4 posts that the tool locks into.

Sometimes the posts break off and the tool will not work.

The retaining ring also has two holes that you can use to remove the retaining ring.

Needle nose pliers will sometimes fit into the holes.

Reactions: Newdude
Sometimes the posts break off and the tool will not work.

The retaining ring also has two holes that you can use to remove the retaining ring.

Needle nose pliers will sometimes fit into the holes.
@JamesW you anticipated my next problem. I got the tool, can remove faceplate but can’t get the nozzle retaining ring off because the tabs are broken. My needle nose doesn’t fit. The hole is too small for the 7”. But too deep to smaller ones. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

can remove faceplate
Do not remove the faceplate as that might break the watertight seal.

The retaining ring has the two holes.

Maybe make a tool that has the right diameter with two pins that will engage the holes.

For example, get a PVC coupling and glue in a piece of pipe, cut the pipe flush, drill two holes and insert pins at the correct diameter.

1699637436775.png
1699637566459.png

Since the tool has the right diameter, you might be able to put pins in the existing notches to use as a removal tool.

Maybe glue/epoxy the pins in place.

Wrap the tool with wax paper and then tape and get two pins and epoxy them in place.

Let the epoxy dry and then remove the tape and wax paper.

1699638356328.png

1699406354229-png.539578

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.