First test run with new kit....please advise

Just catching-up on your thread here. I have a few thoughts:
- How did your OCLT go last night? Did you lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight?
- Your last FC post was 26.6? Are you using a Taylor kit and the 25 ML sample x .25? If so, please change to "10 ML water sample, one heaping scoop of powder, then multiply count drop by 0.5 (divide by 2). Example: 40 drops = FC of 20.
- Our Viking was slippery shortly after we filled (May '13). We just thought it was the way a FB pool was supposed to be until I learned by August I had a problem with chemistry (green "puffs" along the bottom). Water was clear, but I could see stuff that didn't belong, hence finding TFP and doing my first SLAM. Now our feet grab well.
- You just started your SLAM barely 2 days ago. Most SLAMs take several days to complete. Assuming what you have is indeed algae (the slipperiness), then it might take a few more days. Just depends. But stick with maintaining your FC level of 24 until you confirm that OCLT.
- If you have LED lights like me, you won't be removing those. At some point down the road, you may only remove the clear covers to wipe behind those.
- Remember, the pool is NOT closed. You can all swim as long as when do go in, the FC is not over 24.

Keep us posted.

Oh, and what type of filter do you have? I don't see that in your sig. It would be good to add your filter and test kit to your sig. :)

If you lost chlorine on the OCLT then you have organics, could be algae or mold. Either way the advice is the same, keep up the slam till you lose 1ppm or less of FC, have less than 0.5 CC and pool is clear.

You can have algae and clear water. Usually the first sign is a slippery surface, then your water gets cloudy and then the cloud turns green.....

Brushing is important as it breaks up the algae so the chlorine can get to it easier

Have you added borates (borax) to your pool. That can make it feel more slippy

Seems odd it was like that from day 1. Fibreglass is the most slippy pool imho. I have always used a handrail with one because of that. Will be interesting to hear what Viking says, when they get back to you

Ok no borates have been added.checking with hubby as to what type of filter we have. I know the pressure is fine on it. He checked last night and it really hasn't changed since we started slam.
We decided to keep it at SLAM levels for a few days before checking overnight test..since this has been happening since May 3 ...plus I am in a day camp with kids and getting up before sun hits makes me want to cringe.
Also based on what most people posted usually 3 plus days for a good slam( so why wake up super extra early ...lol)

will ll do overnight test starting tonight. That will have given us three full days with FC at SLAM levels
Morning levels...just an FYI
FC 26
CC0.5
ph 7.8.... I know it's not 100% accurate right now but I want to swim this afternoon....so I checked....does SLAMing make it higher or lower than what is read?
CYA 60( from last night)

Quick question on CC part of test. I have noticed if I leave the solution alone for about a minute or after added drops to clear , which has only been one or none, the solution turns pinkish again. Is that normal???? Am I not doing something right??

Any other advice on test kit and how to do it etc is more than welcome here.

Thanks for for supporting us newbies as we learn how to mange our pools

Yes, the SLAM (higher FC) will make the pH read high, so just ignore that. Also (yes), if you let the CC test sit it will revert back to pink. Disregard that as well. Simply record your test result right away and toss the solution. Not sure where you heard the 3-day thing about a SLAM, but a SLAM duration can vary. Obviously a swamp-ish green pool will take longer, but some clear pools can be frustrating because of something lurkng that isn't seen or caught right away and it just drags-on. So it's important to maintain the FC level, brush, and keep an eye on the filter.

As for the FC testing ... keep it simple like I noted above in post #21 - use the 10 ML sample then divide by 2. And just to ensure you are comfortable with your CYA testing, I'll give you this quote just in case:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

If you find later your CYA is different than what you first believed, let us know.

Ok whew. Been doing right the FC and the CC. And the cya too. Thanks for the reassurance.

FC 20 Cc 0 and cya 60. Adding some more bleach per pool math. Ph between 7.5&7.8

brushing as often as we can

will keep slamming till slippery feeling is gone I guess. Will be checking over night test tonight.....wanted to give it at least 3 days before I checked since I have no idea what I am battling...

when hen should I do full run on all the numbers again.....once I am done slamming?????

Ok something is alive and well in my pool lol. OCLT failed but at least I know I have something. So it's a pseudo happy fail.

last FC 25 cc 0. This am FC 20 cc 1. Filter pressure fine at 20

Swg back on bleach added as per pool math guidelines and now I guess I wait a few more days till I OCLT again????

But we were in pool last night and neighbors said it felt less slick. So it is working!!!!!!

So so happy I found this group and I thank you all for your wisdom guidance and experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.