First Test Results - Needs some help, please

Aussieta's review of what the OP described (post #1 of this thread), including addition of muriatic acid to reduce pH of 8.0, looks to be accurate.

Well noted singingpond, and thank you. My post should have been more accurately stated that no additional chemicals were added once the OP's pH was at the 6.8ppm level. This however still does not explain the inconsistency of the pH level when the MA had been add prior to that at the 8.0 pH level, as noted by Aussieta above in comment #17. I will continue to also watch for further inconsistencies in OP's declines with chemical adds, so we can better advise the OP on how to possibly prevent the occurrence in the future. Have a wonderful day :)

Well noted singingpond, and thank you. My post should have been more accurately stated that no additional chemicals were added once the OP's pH was at the 6.8ppm level. This however still does not explain the inconsistency of the pH level when the MA had been add prior to that at the 8.0 pH level, as noted by Aussieta above in comment #17. I will continue to also watch for further inconsistencies in OP's declines with chemical adds, so we can better advise the OP on how to possibly prevent the occurrence in the future. Have a wonderful day :)

Yes, Aussieta's observation is correct and I am a bit puzzled about that, too. The 48 oz of MA would have been correct for a pH of 7.5 and TA of 160. It's possible that the pH was only 7.5 and I'm not remembering correctly. The drop in my pH and rise in my FC were more dramatic than expected for the amounts of MA and chlorine and added. Hmm. I wonder if it's possible that my pool has less volume than I had calculated (16w x 30L x 5 average depth), plus 8x8 attached spa. Also, I've been converting all my values to metric outside of PoolMath but will start using the metric setting so I don't introduce any more risk of error.

In any event, I am pleased to report my test results from this morning:

TC 4
pH 7.2

Y'll gave excellent advice to wait for the pH to go up with aeration (and fresh plaster). :)

You're numbers look great this morning. Well done. Yes it could be a volume issue, or the numbers plugged in incorrectly, or like you mentioned perhaps you posted the pH incorrectly to start? It's hard to say for certain where the inconsistency came from but Aussieta was observant enough to catch it and be able to shine a light on it for us all.

Is the chlorine you are adding bringing your levels to where Pool Math states it will? If it is I suspect your volume is in correctly.

But until we know for certain where the inconsistency resulted from just be aware that is possible and perhaps add a lesser amount of needed chemicals 1/2-3/4th the amount suggested,(then recheck the level before adding more to prevent from going too low, or too high).
Then once you know for sure it is the volume that is incorrect (which like I said before IF your chlorine adds are coming out correctly, I don't suspect this is the cause) then we can help you set it to a more accurate volume to prevent future over adds of the chemicals.

Since Aussieta has brought the inconsistency to all our attention we will all also be helping you watch more closely for any other issues in the future too. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day :)

So happy to have your help, Crackerjack4u and all!

I had been targeting 3.0 for chlorine so I suspect it may be the volume. I will try adding 3/4 next time (or maybe change my volume to 15K gallons?) and adjust from there until we figure this out.

The gas guy came today and we are up to 65 degrees. Hooray! :)

Sounds good.

Yes If the chlorine target adds are also Not coming out correctly then the gallons are most likely the culprit, and you might want to just adjust the gallons some before the next calculation, then do your add of chlorine, and recheck the level about 30 mins after to see if it correct.

1)If the recheck level is not high enough. Then increase the water gallons a little more, recalculate from the level at that ReCheck, and add the difference.

2)If the level is still too high, you will know you will again need to lower the gallons before the next calculation, and then proceed as mentioned above in #1.

If you do change the gallons of water in pool math, and it appears to take care of the issue, remember to also change it in your Signature Information so we can continue to try to accurately assist you.

If you have any issues figuring out how much the volume needs to be adjusted (or if you want us to double check what you come up with for the new volume), if you will post your Current, Target, and Ending results at the current water gallons we can assist you with determining it from there.

I had to LOL on the heater working and the pool temp now being 65 degrees. I'm sure the hubby is Super excited that his splashing around will be done in a much warmer pool than yesterday. You guys have a wonderful day. :)

Thanks, Crackerjack4u. I will do this in the morning. Tonight's test results were:

TC 4
pH 7.5

I didn't treat the water tonight. I'll see where the numbers are tomorrow and use your approach with a reduced volume and go from there.

Today was even colder than yesterday so hubby stayed out of the water (with my permission!) Hopefully the heater works overnight to bring the water up to a less tepid temp and we can all go in and splash around a little. :)

You're welcome. Sounds good on the conversion. As far as not adding any chlorine tonight that may be fine, but you do want to ensure that the chlorine level remains above 2ppm at all times because if it drops below that during the night etc. it can allow algae to start to grow.

What we generally recommend is that you actually set your Target at 1-2ppm higher than is listed for your current CYA to give you a little more cushion to prevent ever dropping below the Minimum level. The slightly higher level helps when you are at work, feeling bad, or whatever, and you can't or don't want to check the levels as often. It just kind of gives you a little more peace of mind that you are certain that you have enough chlorine in there to keep it properly maintained, so it doesn't drop below the minimum while you are away.

You are doing great on maintaining your levels now, and that is merely a suggestion that may give you a little more you and hubby time. :). I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

This morning's test results:

FC 3
CC 1
pH 7.5
TA 80

I've added 19 oz liquid chlorine (10.8%) and 22oz MA (approximately - I eyeballed it and submerged the remainder of the bottle so I wouldn't have to measure it). Crackerjack4u, I changed the gallons in PoolMath to 16K gallons get these measures.

You're welcome. Sounds good on the conversion. As far as not adding any chlorine tonight that may be fine, but you do want to ensure that the chlorine level remains above 2ppm at all times because if it drops below that during the night etc. it can allow algae to start to grow.

What we generally recommend is that you actually set your Target at 1-2ppm higher than is listed for your current CYA to give you a little more cushion to prevent ever dropping below the Minimum level. The slightly higher level helps when you are at work, feeling bad, or whatever, and you can't or don't want to check the levels as often. It just kind of gives you a little more peace of mind that you are certain that you have enough chlorine in there to keep it properly maintained, so it doesn't drop below the minimum while you are away.

You are doing great on maintaining your levels now, and that is merely a suggestion that may give you a little more you and hubby time. :). I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night. :)

Thanks for cheering me on, Crackerjack4u! So, let me understand what you mean by setting my chlorine target higher. According to the Chlorine/CYA chart, based on my assumed CYA of 30, I should be targeting FC of 4ppm. Do you mean that I should actually overshoot for a target 5 or 6ppm to be safe, and then be happy when it tests at 4ppm? :scratch: As well, do TFPers generally add chlorine each day whether they need it or not?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for cheering me on, Crackerjack4u! So, let me understand what you mean by setting my chlorine target higher. According to the Chlorine/CYA chart, based on my assumed CYA of 30, I should be targeting FC of 4ppm. Do you mean that I should actually overshoot for a target 5 or 6ppm to be safe, and then be happy when it tests at 4ppm? :scratch: As well, do TFPers generally add chlorine each day whether they need it or not?

You're welcome.

Slightly raising the FC Target will prevent you from having to check it as often hopefully preventing you from ever dropping below minimum. If you Target for say 5 or 6ppm, (when the chart for your CYA says 4ppm, IF your water gallons are correct, within 30mins you should expect to see the 5 or 6ppm that you Targeted in there.

As far as whether to add chlorine or not daily here is a baseline to go by: You will learn over time approx. how much on average of a daily loss Your pool will have by your level checks. (Generally it is around 1-4ppm on average). You add enough chlorine as needed, to Maintain your pool at all times, and to Ensure your FC level never drops below the minimum for your current CYA. (That's why the recommended slightly higher target above. It makes it easier for you to achieve this, and allows you to not have to stay right on top of your pool checking levels so often to prevent it from dropping below minimum, which can allow algae to start growing.

I hope this helps answer your questions, if not just holler back and I'll try to explain it differently so you completely understand the reasoning behind the slight increase above what the Chlorine/CYA chart says. Have a wonderful day.:)

EDIT: also remember to change your gallons in your SIGNATURE info once you get them where you need them to be.

That definitely helps. I am logging all of my results and treatments so I can identify the patterns and begin to add pre-emptively. We will be converting to SWG & pH automation around Oct 9, just when I expect to be in the groove (and no longer be terrified of handling the muriatic acid!) And most likely, just when we may be closing our pool for the winter, alas!

Crackerjack4u, thanks for giving me the feedback and encouragement to confidently implement the TFP method on my own. It's not difficult once you get in the routine, but I do feel compelled to test 2 or 3 times a day until everything stabilizes and I can see the patterns. My DH is colour blind so I've taken responsibility for all of this myself. :)

ETA: I'm pleased to report that we finally have our heater running - hooray. I went for my first swim this morning and it was quite divine and surreal to float around in my backyard!

You're certainly welcome. We love teaching our methods, and it's always a joy to have an awesome student like yourself.

How wonderful that you finally got to float for a bit. You've worked hard, and deserve a nice warm floating session.

As far as the testing goes, it may take a while until you feel comfortable doing them. I think we were all the same way at 1st, or at least I know I was.

The thing is you can't over test, under test Yes, but not over test. All it takes you is a little more time, and a little more reagents. As long as it makes you feel more comfortable, and helps you be certain that you've not misread something, or made an error, or are letting your chlorine drop too low etc. then just have right at it because it's not hurting a thing.

You will get to where you are more comfortable, and sure down the road, then when you are ready you'll drop down on your testing some, but until that time, do it Your way. But remember that we are all right here if you need us for anything, or have any questions, or concerns along the way. Have a wonderful night, and enjoy your nice warm pool. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.