First test, new pool, just filled

travisr FIRST congrats on new rating !!!!
I had to raise my CYA up recently from "0" after all the rains we had earlier in year. Look at the bottom of pool math and insert in the tool how many ounces of pucks you have added ( normally 8 oz peer 3 inch puck ) and it will tell you how much it will increase CYA. I turned up my feeder all the way and it dissolved them in a few days. Might as well using up those pucks! I also went through the new pool start up but with no help from PB. TFP helped me get everything started and running crystal clear. I also have a spa with the spillway and the water features on my wall also. Alot of aereation so kepping pH correct took awhile but has stabilized in the last 4 months. The Stenner makes life alot easier! Where are you getting your 10% bleach from?

Thanks! That 8 oz per 3" puck was what I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Texas, I'm going to count how many pucks are in the total system when I get home and see what that should put my cya at then add cya accordingly. That oz/puck number was what I needed. Hmm... thought it was sock in skimmer. Assume either will work?

7/24
8:06 PM
90.8 degrees
pH 7.5
FC 2.5
CC 0
CH 300
TA 130
CYA 15

I added 80 more oz of CCD about 2 hours ago to further increase CH. First dose had more effect than I calculated. I'm guessing the climbing FC was due to pucks in the skimmer which have now dissolved. Still 5 pucks left in chlorinator. Everything seems to be looking good. Hoping to get bleach tank plumbed in tomorrow.

Not adding anything else tonight. Gonna see how FC looks in the morning.

I keep waiting for everything to go off the rails. So far so good. Sorry if I've turned this into my own boring test log thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The heat has been brutal lately. I see your pool has crested 90deg.
If that is getting too warm for you, you want to run those water features @ 3am for a while.
I'm doing that with my waterfall and have managed to bring it back down from 89 to 86 deg.

Thanks. I'll work on raising CH.

Also, is there any good way to calculate how much each 3" trichlor tab will raise my CYA? I'd like to just let the trichlor tabs that are in the dispenser and skimmer dissolve then switch to bleach. But with the delay in adding CYA and being able to measure it, I'm not sure how to calculate how much additional CYA I should put in a sock to get up to 40 PPM.

2-3" tabs will raise cya 5ppm

Ok, after 5 trips to the hardware store Stenner installation is finished! Kind of a PITA. Opened up the Omni, installed a new relay, and configured as an accessory so I can run it on a countdown timer. Calibrated the pump. It pumped 1 liter in 17:30. So my math says 1.93 oz per minute. That works out to 21.7 GPD from this 22 GPD pump. So pretty close. With the main pump off all day FC fell from 2.5 this morning to .5 this afternoon. Stenner currently on a 27 min cycle to bring it back to 3.5. Pretty excited about this. Finally feel like I have some control now that the pucks are out.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics coming later.

Another question... For the first time tonight I tested an hour after adding bleach and MA. Using pool math and carefully measuring to bring my ph from 8.2 to 7.5 and FC from 1.0 to 5.0 I found that the ph was sot on but the FC was 6 instead of 5. What might account for this? My bleach is supposedly 10% bleach from Napco. Could it be that it's actually more concentrated than 10%? I don't know the pool math formulas that well but to raise it by 5 instead of 4 it would seem as though the bleach was considerably stronger than 10%?

Finally getting things dialed in. I'm having a hard time getting cya up and don't want to overshot it. My target is 40. Over the last week I've added 33 oz by volume of granular cya and PB put in a gallon of liquid conditioner. The last 16 oz I put in a sock 2 days ago. I seem to be stuck at 28. It was 28 after I put the first 17 oz now 28 after latest 16 oz. any clue?

I was finding that almost all my FC would get eaten up during the day. If I got it to 6 in the morning it would be 1 by night. I've set up the Stenner to dose 21.25 oz of 10% bleach at 6am, 10 am, 2pm, and 6pm. It's run that way for 2 days now. I test at about 8am and 8pm. Yesterday it was 7.5 in the morning and 6.5 in the evening. Today it was 7 in the morning and 6.5 tonight. So that dosage seems to be holding at about that level throughout the day. I know it's higher than target. I'm dialing things in and didn't want it to fall too low. Should I try dialing it back a bit at this point so I'm hitting 5 at a low test?

I'm adding 30 oz MA each morning and evening which is keeping my ph testing between 7.5 and 7.8 prior to each addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.