First Slam

I am waiting it out and keeping the faith, after all it took it several months to get this bad.

The chlorine use it what is getting me down, now that the Texas sun is beating down on it, makes it hard to keep the FC that high.

I test it at night when the sun goes down, bring it back to SLAM level and then test in the AM as the sun comes up.

Last night after sunset the FC was at 12ppm after adding 65oz of 8.25% bleach
THis morning it was down to 9.5 so there is still something alive in there, I added 20oz of bleach to take it back to 12
At 5pm this evening it was back down to 4ppm added another 61oz to bring it back up. Will test again in the am.

I backwashed before adding bleach this evening as the pressure rose in the last two days, the waste water was very cloudy so the filter is doing it's job. Water is nice and blue, but still no can see the bottom of the pool.

It looks like your pool is not seeing shock level of 12 for much of the time. It would be better if you could maintain shock level at all times. Can you test and add chlorine several times a day. If you can only test and add chlorine twice a day, another option might be to dose chlorine to a level higher than 12 ppm, say 18 ppm.

They say patience is a virtue... I am not very virtuous I guess. I went out this afternoon to brush the pool bottom to make sure I got everything previously. Low and behold I could see the bottom...Not clearly but well enough to see what was down there, I unleashed my AuqaBug and backwashed about 5 times as it got more and more crud off of the bottom, it has been running an hour now with no pressure increase.

So I am letting it run, and got the FC back up to 12 from 4.

Gonna grab 4 more 121oz bottles of bleach at the store on Thursday as I am down to my last bottle, and now that the stuff is off of the bottom of the pool I figure in a few more days it will be done with the slam.

NEVER AGAIN!

They say patience is a virtue... I am not very virtuous I guess. I went out this afternoon to brush the pool bottom to make sure I got everything previously. Low and behold I could see the bottom...Not clearly but well enough to see what was down there, I unleashed my AuqaBug and backwashed about 5 times as it got more and more crud off of the bottom, it has been running an hour now with no pressure increase.

So I am letting it run, and got the FC back up to 12 from 4.

Gonna grab 4 more 121oz bottles of bleach at the store on Thursday as I am down to my last bottle, and now that the stuff is off of the bottom of the pool I figure in a few more days it will be done with the slam.

NEVER AGAIN!

I love it when a plan comes together. :goodjob:

Congratulations Joe, good to have you aboard! :lol:

See, it's working! Every day, it will get clearer and clearer. Keep brushing and sweeping your pool and keeping at SLAM until you're done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good job and I am glad you stuck with it. Since I came to this forum, I have not used floc or anything else to clear algae or a cloudy pool. Early on, I was tempted but I resisted and every time the filter, bleach, and time were all I needed. It really is nice to go to a store and not go to the pool aisle to see what new miracle cure is available. Bleach is cheap and in my town, chlorine is even cheaper. Congrats and enjoy the pool!

A few days ago I spread some cedar mulch around the pool to make it look prettier and keep the weeds down. Today I went out to put the Bug back into the pool while I was home, I noticed the mulch next to the drain plug was a darker color that the rest. I swept away the mulch and made sure the cap was tight, I didn't feel any water around it but will keep a close eye on it, it is right under the skimmer and it is possible I have hit it with my foot when previously adding the bug to the pool. I hope that is all it is.

P.S Retested my CYA and found it is only at 20, so I knocked my FC down from 12 to 10 and am maintaining it at that level for now. Once the algae is dead I will bump my CYA up to 40? or should I shoot for 30?

THanks

Good news this AM I can now see the liner at the bottom of the pool, still awful cloudy but getting better every day, having to add less and less bleach every day to keep it at 10.

I modified my SLAM value when I tested the CYA it was only 20, so I lowered the SLAM level and will deal with CYA when the pool is clear.

Temps in the high 80's all this next week so I am sure it will use more bleach.

The FC you need to maintain is a function of how high you raise the CYA. In TX I would think you would want to be in the 40-50ppm range for CYA. Which means the FC must be maintained ABOVE 3-4ppm. So you should target 6-7ppm everyday. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.