First SLAM (woohoo!)

Ok.

If you vacuum up the carbonate scale you will, at the very least, need to backwash after that. That calcium scale is acting as a source of alkalinity that is keeping your acid demand high. You want to get rid of it as much as possible.

The other way to get rid of it is to drop your pH and keep it as low as possible and then it will start to dissolve. However, that means you will be putting that calcium back into solution.

My preference would be to get it out of the water but it's up to you.
Hopefully the self contained robot cleaner is removing the bulk of it. I'll manually vac as well and do a backwash after I'm done slamming.

Passed slam this morning. Still a ton of calcium precipitate despite vacuuming. I think it's just going to take a lot of MA.

Is the filter capturing it? Seems a bit unusual for you to have this much calcium carbonate. Did you close the pool last fall?

For closing I did the chemicals and just had a company come to blow the lines out and clean filter. I'd imagine with the pH still being high the calcium would continue to precipate? I'll be able to test pH accurately here soon, but I've been adding a gallon of MA in the meantime.

This is the result of a single robot pass:
lrlkNdR.jpg

CH tested at 350 this morning

Thatls a cool trick. I'll wait for the SLAM to be over to avoid the risk of making an acid bath.
I didn't follow my own advice and this is exactly what happened. I don't think the PH dilution test during slammed worked. Once the FC level came down, my PH was super low, well under 6.8 (completely yellow). TA is a big fat 0 (solution turned red immediately).

Worse even, I'm still getting calcium precipitate despite the low PH, which is why I thought the MA additions were having much of an impact.

I just added 15lbs soda ash (all the store had). Hopefully that shows some change and I'll grab more somewhere else.

I'll post a full set of test results shortly. I've been away and haven't had any time to properly take care of this issue, which is part of the problem.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, the dilution trick only works when one of the solutions (the pool water) has high enough TA to resist pH changes from the distilled water. If you crashed your TA with acid additions then all bets are off.

Definitely get the soda ash into the water. So you have Taylor acid/base demand reagents to check how far off you are? They are useful to have when your pH is outside the range of the pH test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like that Soda ash did the trick quickly with the TA being so low. I took a sample from the opposite end of where I added, 30 mins later, and PH was up to 7.2.

I have to run for a meeting, but I'll check PH again, along with the TA this evening.

How long does it take/how would I know if any damage was done to my heater?

It won't be damaged in a couple of days. It won't be damaged at all if it has a titanium heat exchanger. But, if it has a copper heat exchanger low ph (below 7.0) can dissolve copper into your water. Copper can tint the water green, turn hair green, stain the pool and generally cause a lot of trouble.

It won't be damaged in a couple of days. It won't be damaged at all if it has a titanium heat exchanger. But, if it has a copper heat exchanger low ph (below 7.0) can dissolve copper into your water. Copper can tint the water green, turn hair green, stain the pool and generally cause a lot of trouble.
I have the copper test so I can find out. It sounds like it needs to be a constant thing to do a lot of damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.