First K2006 Test... Won't turn pink?

Did you ever remove the puck floatie? If not, do so immediately. The pucks will add more CYA.

Bring your FC up to between 10 and 12ppm if the water is still clear. Did you learn how to use poolmath (linked above) to calculate your additions?

Remember to use the 10ml sample to save on reagents.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, where is Lancaster?

Last edited:
Did you ever remove the puck floatie? If not, do so immediately. The pucks will add more CYA.

Bring your FC up to between 10 and 12ppm if the water is still clear. Did you learn how to use poolmath (linked above) to calculate your additions?

Remember to use the 10ml sample to save on reagents.

- - - Updated - - -
Floatie is removed. I'm going to test this morning and bring it up. I am able to use pool math.

What's wrong with high cya?

Is my ch okay?

How much will I need to add daily to maintain?

Lancaster is the high desert in southern California, near palmdale, near Edwards air force base...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to share a set of links I put together for people new to pools and TFP. It is a lot of info. so take it a bite at a time.

Note one of the links has the recommenced levels.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Look at the chart that shows the levels. See how the higher your CYA is the more FC you need? After a while your CYA will get SO high you will not be able to add enough FC to keep the water clear. Well you could add enough BUT it would take a LOT chlorine to get the FC up where it needs to be.

:kim:

I am going to share a set of links I put together for people new to pools and TFP. It is a lot of info. so take it a bite at a time.

Note one of the links has the recommenced levels.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Look at the chart that shows the levels. See how the higher your CYA is the more FC you need? After a while your CYA will get SO high you will not be able to add enough FC to keep the water clear. Well you could add enough BUT it would take a LOT chlorine to get the FC up where it needs to be.

So it's only possible to raise ch? The plaster is really old, I need to replace it soon. Would that cause that?

It does me no good to refill my pool to lower ch. Our fill water has high CH. You might want to test your fill water for CH.

Good point, I'll check it.

Tested again today, 3.5 FC, so I lost 3 or so overnight, seems like a bit much. Just added another 121oz to get it up closer to 10.

I'm surprised it stayed clear with little to no FC before. We've only owned the house 3 weeks and this is the first time testing since moving in.

If you are sure of the drop overnight then you need to do a SLAM. BUT wait to do that until you do this test (OCLT):

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you still have that big a drop doing this test then you need to SLAM. Your water is trying to grow something and we need to head it off.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It should not take you long to overcome whatever is growing as you cannot see it yet. It is SO nice you have a good test kit. Just think if you did not........you would not know you had a problem until it started showing the green of it's eyes!

Can you add which test kit you have in your siggy please?

If you are sure of the drop overnight then you need to do a SLAM. BUT wait to do that until you do this test (OCLT):

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you still have that big a drop doing this test then you need to SLAM. Your water is trying to grow something and we need to head it off.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It should not take you long to overcome whatever is growing as you cannot see it yet. It is SO nice you have a good test kit. Just think if you did not........you would not know you had a problem until it started showing the green of it's eyes!

Can you add which test kit you have in your siggy please?

I added 121oz of 8.25 two nights ago, I retested last night and got 9.5ppm FC. which is good, as it didn't stop significantly, so I don't think I'm fighting something. I'm going to retest again soon to see and add some bleach.

I'm leaving town for 4 days... What do I do?

Lancaster is also in PA and likely other states. Please add your state to your signature. It will help immensely going forward.

Lancaster is also in PA and likely other states. Please add your state to your signature. It will help immensely going forward.

Roger I'll do that.

So I might have something brewing. Tested again today, late as the sun was going down. Is that a problem for testing fc? Time of day?

The pool was dirty from wind storms, does that make a difference?

My fc was 6, so I did potentially lose 3.5FC in a day. I cleaned and scrubbed the pool, put bleach in to get it up to 12. Will test twice tomorrow to see what happens.

Since I'm leaving town, I'm going to have to put the pucks. Which means my cya will start approaching 100. I'll have to deal with it when I get back. I need to research some automation injection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For times I will be away I do use the tablets. With the amount of rain we get here I am always having to drain water so do not have a high CYA problem using them every once in a while.

When you get back plan on a % drain based on your CYA and Pool Math. Do not go lower than 1 foot in the shallow end.

The OCLT is to be done at dark each time. The first time in the evening the next time before the sun is up in the morning. It is meant to see if there is anything using your FC other than the sun.

It is very normal to lose anywhere from 2 to 4 FC a day depending on the weather conditions and swimmer load. That is why we do the OCLT overnight after everyone is out of the pool.

For times I will be away I do use the tablets. With the amount of rain we get here I am always having to drain water so do not have a high CYA problem using them every once in a while.

When you get back plan on a % drain based on your CYA and Pool Math. Do not go lower than 1 foot in the shallow end.

The OCLT is to be done at dark each time. The first time in the evening the next time before the sun is up in the morning. It is meant to see if there is anything using your FC other than the sun.

It is very normal to lose anywhere from 2 to 4 FC a day depending on the weather conditions and swimmer load. That is why we do the OCLT overnight after everyone is out of the pool.

Do you have a link so I can read about oclt? I have no idea what that is...

You can raise the FC level up to the shock level for your CYA level, according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I don't see shock level in pool math. My cya is 88...

Nevermind found it. Added enough to take it up to 28. Figure I lose up to 3 a day, 15 total while I'm gone, keeps me above 12 until I get home.

I have someone watching the house, if my water is clear but fc at 28 should I warn them to stay out?

Reading about OLCT, I actually Did this without knowing it. I seem to have lost right around 1ppm overnight. Maybe doing this one time shock will help. I'll do it again when I get home.

It is safe to swim up to shock level (still less "harsh" than a public pool with a FC of 2ppm and 0 CYA)

Your loss assumptions are not quite right ...

You lose a % of the FC to the sun each day. The higher the FC level, the more ppm of FC you will lose each day. So the first day you could lose 7+ ppm of FC.

It is safe to swim up to shock level (still less "harsh" than a public pool with a FC of 2ppm and 0 CYA)

Your loss assumptions are not quite right ...

You lose a % of the FC to the sun each day. The higher the FC level, the more ppm of FC you will lose each day. So the first day you could lose 7+ ppm of FC.

Hmmmm okay, well I'm on the road, so wish my pool luck! Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.