First filter cleaning...disgusting!

bdbull

Jun 25, 2020
Georgia, US
Pool finished in December 2022. Builder told me to clean the filters when the pressure got to 30 PSI or at 6 months. Pressure never gets above 10 so I opened things up for the first cleaning today. It was absolutely disgusting. I probably spent over an hour spraying the cartridges with a hose, and dirt was still coming out when I stopped. I ran out of daylight and just had to call it a night. I'll open it up and do it again next weekend.
I did use it as an opportunity to tell my kids how dirty they are. :)

If you don’t have an Aqua Comb or something similar they are well worth it to clean a cartridge.

We have this one….

Aqua Comb Pool Filter Cartridge Cleaning Tool https://a.co/d/cryE7XA

My in laws have this one…..

Aquatix Pro Premium Pool & Spa Filter Cartridge Cleaner, Removes Debris & Dirt from Pool Filters in Seconds, Heavy Duty & Durable Pool Cartridge Filter Cleaner, for a Clean Flow of Water Today! (1) https://a.co/d/2RZt5IJ

I suggest you soak the cartridges next time using standard/regular cascade dishwasher powder in a large garbage pail container lined with a thick plastic trash bag. Put the powder and water in, add the cartridges, fill it up and tie off the top of bag so that the cartridges are fully submerged. Let it sit for a good hour like that in the warm sun. Then pull the cartridges and give them a good rinse with one of the AquaCombs mentioned above OR try finding a product called The Filter Flosser. The fine comb streams really help to get into the pleats.

Hmm. I know it's widely recommended, but my personal experience with the Filter Flosser has been pretty disappointing. The angled streams look like they should be useful, but there just isn't enough water volume or pressure to get deep in the pleats and dislodge dirt and debris.

For me, a regular garden-hose nozzle does a way better job.

Nevertheless... @bdbull, if you want my Filter Flosser, you can have it in exchange for making a donation of any amount to TFP: Become a TFP Supporter

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
I kind of shied away from the Flosser for that reason after reading reviews and went with the Comb. If you do use a hose nozzle look for one thar you can get pressure out of like the old style screw open/shut ones.

My hose nozzle has really good pressure and does a really good job. I just didn't expect the cartridges to be as dirty as they were.

The comb is an interesting product. I think my hose has enough pressure, but something to actually open the pleats and dislodge stuff that might be stuck in there seems like it might be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.