First fall winter with new pool-question about solar

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Our pool was installed in March so this will be our first "off season". It's still in the low to mid 80's everyday and sunny for a good part of the day. We have solar panels and I'm wondering how much we should expect them to heat up the pool as it's still warm enough outside to swim if the water was warm enough. Currently the water is around 80 degrees. Am I being unrealistic in thinking the solar will get the water temperature up much this late in the year? I really don't know what to expect.

My solar panels can add 6-8 degrees to the pool on a sunny day. The key for us is using a solar cover on chilly nights. Cool nights can reduce the water temp 5 or 6 degrees, more if it is windy. A solar cover will hold the heat in overnight pnight. Maybe lose 2 or 3 degrees with the cover.

My solar panels can add 6-8 degrees to the pool on a sunny day. The key for us is using a solar cover on chilly nights. Cool nights can reduce the water temp 5 or 6 degrees, more if it is windy. A solar cover will hold the heat in overnight pnight. Maybe lose 2 or 3 degrees with the cover.

Ok so it sounds like I shouldn't expect much gain as I don't have a solar cover. Temps at night here have been in the low 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things you begin to battle with as we go through fall. The sun isn't out as much (shorter days), and the sun is progressively at a lower angle in the sky until December. The only way to combat this is to control your heat loss. Typically a bubble cover is best way to do this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.