First ever test, did something wrong with FC

I keep my SWG ticking over without testing it- although one day I will get a salt test. I rely on my SWG telling me when it needs a top up of salt and don't worry about it other than that.

You have a good plan - just now concentrate on maintaining your FC for your CYA (about 60), I'd work on your pH being 7.6 which is good and start bringing your TA into range as you have mentioned with adding acid and aeration.

If your CH is 50 then you want to start adding some calcium to bring that up as well. Once that is all sorted then I would look at adding a bit of CYA to bring that up a touch to the recommended range for SWG pools (70 or 80)

Day 8
Missed testing yesterday as other things got in the way
Today FC was 6.5, CC 0.5
Turned the SWG back on to 2 a couple of days ago so will keep an eye on it and see if it's going up, down or staying with a view to getting it about 5 to 6 (definitley better than the 18.5 it was a week ago.
Hopefully tommorrow will allow me the time to tinker with acid and TA.

Thanks Kim
Day 9 Never got to play with acid and tinker with the TA as the pool was in use most of the day. Hopefully tomorrow, Skimmer door fell off, I now see why it was on the equipment pad, so new set of door clips/hinges is on the cards as well as a filter pressure gauge
FC 7.5 so maybe the SWG needs turning down but continuing to monitor (it certainly won't get up to 18+ again ;-)
CC 0.5
TA 100- 125 (there was a suspect drop that looked like it wasn't a full drop!)

Noticed that you haven't posted any pH readings for a few days- how is your ph tracking? Other than that your looking good!!

I've just been trying to find the time to drop the pH and start getting things in balance. I dropped the SWG a notch yesterday after it climbed to 7.5 from 6.5, but I'm apprehensive about throwing in acid when the pool is in use and I've had a couple of evening things on. Fingers crossed tomorrow will give me the hour I need.

As an aside I gave CCL some feedback that the pH was hard to read and they suggested I lay the bottle on it side with the lid on, so that's on the list to try. I did manage to improvise a hinge clip for the skimmer door today, so some success while I await a real one.

What you've described with the drop in your FC levels is a great example of why it is so important to test for FC daily during the summer. It is so important that you always stay above minimum FC/CYA levels.

I always tend to stay at least a couple of FC above my target level at this time of the year so for you, (working off 60 CYA), I would tend to focus a little higher maybe around 6-8, and then trying to use 5 FC as a sign that you need to ramp up chlorine again. Hope that makes sense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've just been trying to find the time to drop the pH and start getting things in balance. I dropped the SWG a notch yesterday after it climbed to 7.5 from 6.5, but I'm apprehensive about throwing in acid when the pool is in use and I've had a couple of evening things on. Fingers crossed tomorrow will give me the hour I need.

As an aside I gave CCL some feedback that the pH was hard to read and they suggested I lay the bottle on it side with the lid on, so that's on the list to try. I did manage to improvise a hinge clip for the skimmer door today, so some success while I await a real one.

Hi Crmdgnly, it looks like your getting it all under control.
Hawknz posted a photo of his pH tube laying on its side in the Australian Test Kit thread, post #79.

Steve. :cheers:

So this mornings tests are in
FC back up after SWG running last night on position 2. I'll monitor but 2 maybe too high and 1 too low, so maybe tinker with runtime (althugh I normally test at a different time of day so am being cautious with this result). Aim is to keep it at 7 (+/-1)
pH test better but the Hychlor test is reading consistently higher than the Aussie Gold or CCL (which is easier to read on it's side, just!)
CYA is, looking back at previous notes, I think a little low
FC 6
CC 0
TA 100
CH 50
CYA 40-50
pH 7.4

I think I should aerate with the jets to raise pH a little, add 400g CYA stabiliser (pool math says this will up it by 10) and look at getting some Calcium Chloride.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Couldn't test at my usual time of about 5pm (although yesterdays test was about 8am)
So at 9pm FC was 5.5 (the SWG hadn't been on since it's 2 hour lunch run from 12-2 and was just due to come on). I imagine this is when it is at it's lowest after the afternoon sun and no chlorine generation for 7 hours. I think 5.5 was probably OK, but with a little etra CYA I wanted to be cautious.
CC was 0.5 barely went pink
pH 7.4

I have the returns pointing at the surface to help raise the pH, I hve added 200g of CYA and I have turned the SWG up a notch. I got 4kg of CH increaser today but will wait until I have the SWG exactly where I want it. I als got a new pressure gauge, but forgot teflon thread tape so more shopping tomorrow

Woah, missed testing for 3 days due to illness
FC 11.5 That SWG is back down to 2 again from 3 - i'll find that sweet spot yet
CC 0.5
pH (under caution of high FC) 7.6
Expect the CYA to fully dissolved soon only put a very cautious 200g in. It's been very stormy, there has been quite a lot of debris about and I found the vac plate had worked loose probably from the movement of the cleaner, looking at it it's a bit old and worn so a new one of those is on the cards.Thankfully not too much rubbish in the pump basket. Hopefully get to fit the pressure gauge in a day or so if I am well enough.

Better to be high than low on the FC- I'm finding at the moment that I'm constantly changing the setting on my SWG atm, especially with hotter days in the high 30's with more intense sunlight which leads to my kids (and friends) being in the pool more etc then we get back into the 20's the kids not swimming as much or for as long means lower FC demand.

So with daily testing I tend to ride a little higher with the FC then drop SWG/pump run time when I hit double digits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.