First day with test kit..... look out mustard algae!

Modawg2k said:
While I am waiting for my CYA to raise, I've been thinking about how I will go about shocking. Should I be raising my cya to swg levels before shocking? Obviously that would mean quite the high level of fc to maintain shocking. Or should I stop halfway up on my cya journey to take time to shock?
30 is typically used. It's a good compromise between sun protection and massive quantities of bleach to get the water up to shock level.

Thanks. Is it ok to shock while I still have my cya socks in there? I'm half a week into the first round of raising my cya (according to calculator it will take two rounds) and I've just been hanging out waiting for that chemical to raise up

Just started my shocking. My last readings before shocking:
FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 40

I added 450oz of 8% chlorine per the pool calculator to achieve a FC of 23.8 per chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html

I will recheck in an hour. 2 questions:

1) Do I turn off my SWG now?
2) I'm assuming I need to run my water feature during the shock process. Wait until shock and run it for several minutes?

Thanks!

Modawg2k said:
Just started my shocking. My last readings before shocking:
FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 40

I added 450oz of 8% chlorine per the pool calculator to achieve a FC of 23.8 per chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html

I will recheck in an hour. 2 questions:

1) Do I turn off my SWG now?
2) I'm assuming I need to run my water feature during the shock process. Wait until shock and run it for several minutes?

Thanks!
There seems to be two opinions on SWG. I'd keep it on to help maintain the FC level. Other say leave it off to spare the plate. All of us agree that it has to be off to ruin the OCLT at the end.

You should run anything and everything at least a little while to eradicate any algae spores hiding in the plumbing. Toss any pool toys in the pool while it's at shock level, too, and let them get cleaned off. I would be wary of running a fountain or a slide full blast, because it will drive pH up and you can't test or adjust it well while the FC is above 10.

What are you CC's test results? You are finished with the process when...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

I think my pool is good to go. Then only thing that throws me off about my pool is that it does have some staining. So it's hard to distinguish between that and algae. I brush over and it stays so I think it's stains. I have some rocks that line the water line an it's quite a pain to scrub all the underside of them.

Modawg2k said:
I think my pool is good to go. Then only thing that throws me off about my pool is that it does have some staining. So it's hard to distinguish between that and algae. I brush over and it stays so I think it's stains. I have some rocks that line the water line an it's quite a pain to scrub all the underside of them.
If the CC is zero or .5, then you are done :goodjob:

Sounds like stains. Try holding/rubbing a trichlor tab on the stain and see if it lightens. If it does, then the stain is organic and will eventually fade w/slightly higher FC levels at maintenance. If no response w/the trichlor tab, try holding a vitamin C tablet (cheapest kind) on the stain. If it fades, then the stains are metals.

How large is/are the stained areas? Got a pic for us?

I will upload some lovely pictures later of my stains. My pool had a rough birth that included me taking the contractor to the registrar of contractors. They messed up so much (horrible water feature that just dumped filth into my pool and stained my fresh plaster from day 1). I've been thinking of starting my own thread and one by one get help on all my issues (stains, missing equipment, was stuff setup properly)

In the mean time I have really enjoyed getting to know all about the pool chemistry. I always held a little bit of shame with my pool because of those items but I had no one to blame but me on the water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Modawg2k said:
I will upload some lovely pictures later of my stains.
:-D

My pool had a rough birth that included me taking the contractor to the registrar of contractors. They messed up so much (horrible water feature that just dumped filth into my pool and stained my fresh plaster from day 1). I've been thinking of starting my own thread and one by one get help on all my issues (stains, missing equipment, was stuff setup properly)
Wow, so sorry to hear. Yep, issues one at the time.

In the mean time I have really enjoyed getting to know all about the pool chemistry.
WE love when folks want to learn and take control of their pools.
I always held a little bit of shame with my pool because of those items but I had no one to blame but me on the water chemistry. :whip: There. Now that's over and done with :wink:

Here are pics of some of the stains:

2013-05-28182836.jpg

I posted in another section in regards to the water feature. I'm worried that I won't be able to control my pool without controlling the water feature. Please feel free to comment on that thread if you have any advice on what I can do about it.

help-my-water-feature-is-slowly-trying-to-kill-my-pool-t60982.html

Thanks!

And for your enjoyment, here are some pics from 3 years ago when my pool had it's horrible beginnings:
This is what the water looked like that just sat in a huge trough at the tope:
TroughWater2.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I had to hire another company to fix the first company's problem
2010-08-04_13-01-54_938.jpg

Hey guys, my water is going great. I would like to think that my mustard algae is all cleared up. I don't have the buildup on the walls anymore. I did shock it last week based off the calculator.

I'm currently raising my CYA. Per my own test, I had<20 to start with, soaked 4lb's worth of CYA for a week. My reading yesterday was halfway between 40 & 50. Calculator says I need another 3+ lbs more to go, which is what I expected after my first 4lbs. I took my water over to Leslie's today because I was curious to see what their readings were. Before I started my CYA process, the kid at the store said I had a reading of 100. Even at the time I couldn't understand how he got that number. Now I'm told today I have 80. So do I completely disregard everything they say in regards to my readings?

Modawg2k said:
Hey guys, my water is going great. I would like to think that my mustard algae is all cleared up. I don't have the buildup on the walls anymore. I did shock it last week based off the calculator.

I'm currently raising my CYA. Per my own test, I had<20 to start with, soaked 4lb's worth of CYA for a week. My reading yesterday was halfway between 40 & 50. Calculator says I need another 3+ lbs more to go, which is what I expected after my first 4lbs. I took my water over to Leslie's today because I was curious to see what their readings were. Before I started my CYA process, the kid at the store said I had a reading of 100. Even at the time I couldn't understand how he got that number. Now I'm told today I have 80. So do I completely disregard everything they say in regards to my readings?
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day....

You have your own test kit now. Who cares what readings they get?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.