Fire Rock Square Coping on Round Pool Does this Bother You?

Chspool

Nov 20, 2023
Charleston sc
Backstory- I helped my friend with her pool reno and it’s basically done. We have to have the brick patio reset because it is unlevel and they messed up the brick around the coping, but we chose fire rock coping for around the pool. It looks great on the straight parts, but we weren’t told that it is not going to be round on the round parts if that makes sense. She was expecting it to be round like the photo of the white coping and can’t stand the way it looks. What is your opinion? I don’t think it looks terrible, but I’m gaging opinions here and asking for a possible solution.

Pictures in comments

IMG_0829.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to get it more "round" - is to make more cuts and therefore shorten each (looks like) 24" piece into say 6" pie shapes. The below is our pool with 6" width bullnose travertine, each carefully cut by the masons to make it look more or less "round" to use your term. 4" width would make it smoother, but we wanted 6" as we wanted less cut lines.

IMG_9046_20230503_074958.jpg

-Tom

Reactions: JamesW
She was expecting it to be round like the photo of the white coping and can’t stand the way it looks.
The problem is making assumptions without communicating the assumptions and expectations to the contractor.
What is your opinion?
It looks clunky, but not horrible.

Getting it round takes a lot more time and expertise and many masons cannot do it where it comes out perfect.

Your choices are to live with it or find someone to redo it to your satisfaction.

The contractor also has a duty to explain exactly what they were planning to do, so they are partly responsible for the miscommunication.

You can ask them if they can redo it and, if they can, how much it will cost.

You should expect to pay more for a round effect since it is a lot more work.

Make sure to ask about the exact quality metrics that they will hit for the round coping.

Reactions: Newdude
Agree with the prior posts but I would add that IF the deck bricking is redone to matchup correctly to the new coping…it would make a huge difference in the look. Did the coping installers move/cut those existing bricks? If they were responsible for that (contract?), I would call it a fail. In any case, that part is fixable without an entire redo.