Finding strange things in the pool

Found this moth, still alive, in the skimmer basket. By far the biggest one I've seen since we moved here.
Ahhh yes, it was Scout summer camp in 1971 when one of those landed on the picnic table. "I'll give you 5 bucks to eat that" said one of the boys to another. After two seconds to decide the other picked it up, put it between two pieces of bread and ate it all. 5 bucks at the trading post in '71 would keep you supplied all week. Good times at summer camp.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Most nights in May and June, the tree frogs do the deed on the floating chlorine dispenser. Never stops making me jump when I open the skimmer lid, and a frog is in there spinning around. Most make it, I have found one or two dead over the past two summers.

Had a hockey puck, removed it and the next day another one showed up. Later found out the kid behind the fence was practicing..
He put up a net but as he got older and better one hit our house 7' above the ground and dented the side and I said enough. That would kill my dogs or even a person..

Gopher, standing on bottom of deep end. As near as I could tell, he was meditating. Or perhaps doing some sort of sensory deprivation experiment? I asked him about it as I walked him to his high-rise apartment building, but he didn't have much to say. I think he indicated that his was the tall grey building, next to the green one. Not sure, or he may have moved out, as I haven't seen him there since.

images-1.jpeg

Gopher, standing on bottom of deep end. As near as I could tell, he was meditating. Or perhaps doing some sort of sensory deprivation experiment? I asked him about it as I walked him to his high-rise apartment building, but he didn't have much to say. I think he indicated that his was the tall grey building, next to the green one. Not sure, or he may have moved out, as I haven't seen him there since.

View attachment 163339
I always feel bad when critters drown in the pool. Had a few chipmunks in the past but even since adding the frog log haven’t found any

I always feel bad when critters drown in the pool. Had a few chipmunks in the past but even since adding the frog log haven’t found any
Of course. I don't like seeing that either, with one exception. It mostly works out in my pool, as it's almost exclusively gophers. Which is the only critter in my woods I have no sympathies for. I put up a fence. There is no mistaking my territory. If he stays in his, we can be friends. If not, he's on his own. I get the log, but won't use one for fear of just encouraging the use of my pool as a watering hole. It's not and I don't want it to be.

• Love
Reactions: markayash
Of course. I don't like seeing that either, with one exception. It mostly works out in my pool, as it's almost exclusively gophers. Which is the only critter in my woods I have no sympathies for. I put up a fence. There is no mistaking my territory. If he stays in his, we can be friends. If not, he's on his own. I get the log, but won't use one for fear of just encouraging the use of my pool as a watering hole. It's not and I don't want it to be.
You must have watched that movie about what pets do when we leave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny. But it does remind me of a question I've wondered about. How are all these unfortunate animals getting trapped? The water level is far enough below the coping that you'd think they wouldn't be trying to hang down that far for a sip, and then tipping over into the water. Are they jumping in for a drink? Or a bath? Wouldn't natural selection have weeded out any species that was too stupid to get into water, or fall into it accidentally, without some sort of exit strategy?!? I think they're being pushed in by disgruntled spouses, but I can't prove it...

The biggest by far was 2 Canadian Geese chilling for an afternoon and not the small ones, full grown I swear 5 to 6 foot of wingspan.. :)

Reactions: Dirk
So behind our property backs up to some fields which is good for our privacy but we have seen King snakes, mice, and a TON of squirrel/frogs/lizards. Are you saying with our hopeful new pool next year they will end up in our pool/skimmer? 🤔🤔🤔

If you want a good laugh, and we can all use it in 2020, go watch the first couple episodes of the Beverly hillbillies. For you young folks your TV isn't broke that's black and white :)
Jethro talks about the cement pond and its built so the cows can walk right in :)

So behind our property backs up to some fields which is good for our privacy but we have seen King snakes, mice, and a TON of squirrel/frogs/lizards. Are you saying with our hopeful new pool next year they will end up in our pool/skimmer? 🤔🤔🤔
Same basic geography/wildlife situation here. All possible I suppose, but for me mostly just the gophers, and way less since I built my gopher fence. Never had a snake in the pool (though they are in the yard). I think one mouse. No lizards (and I have a lot of lizards in the yard), just a couple frogs (but they were still alive in the skimmer). That's over five years. Maybe... 20 or so animals total? If that. It's not an issue for my pool and I've got 30 open acres behind me.

If it did become a mayor problem, you could try what another here did with a bee infestation in her pool. She put in another small water source (a tiny pond), between her pool and the critters. That became the preferred water source for them and kept them out of her pool. They'll use the easiest, closest one. She might have had to deter them somehow for a bit, until they figured it out.

Last edited:
Same basic geography/wildlife situation here. All possible I suppose, but for me mostly just the gophers, and way less since I built my gopher fence. Never had a snake in the pool (though they are in the yard). I think one mouse. No lizards (and I have a lot of lizards in the yard), just a couple frogs (but they were still alive in the skimmer). That's over five years. Maybe... 20 or so animals total? If that. It's not an issue for my pool and I've got 30 open acres behind me.

If it did become a mayor problem, you could try what another here did with a bee infestation in her pool. She put in another small water source (a tiny pond), between her pool and the critters. That became the preferred water source for them and kept them out of her pool. They'll use the easiest, closest one. She might have had to deter them somehow for a bit, until they figured it out.
I am disappointed in your suggestion. Adding a small water source? I was expecting something like " add a alligator" :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.