Finding affordable chlorine

The largest residential SWGs are rated for 60,000 gallons.
For your pool volume of 34,000 gallons, a SWG rated at 60,000 gallons might need a pump and SWG run time of 12-14 hours per day in the heat of summer to maintain the necessary FC level..

Many who have a SWG, also have a variable speed (VS) pump. A VS pump allows running at a lower RPM for longer periods of time - and still cost less to operate than a single speed pump. A VS pump run at 1750 RPM will use around 1/4 the electricity of a single speed pump (which runds at 3450 RPM) for the same pump run times.

Reactions: newdude and JoanC
Low TA, low CH. She also has an auto cover which helps.

How much fill water do you use? What is the chemistry of your fill water (TA, CH).

Reactions: JoanC
The largest residential SWGs are rated for 60,000 gallons.
For your pool volume of 34,000 gallons, a SWG rated at 60,000 gallons might need a pump and SWG run time of 12-14 hours per day in the heat of summer to maintain the necessary FC level..

Many who have a SWG, also have a variable speed (VS) pump. A VS pump allows running at a lower RPM for longer periods of time - and still cost less to operate than a single speed pump. A VS pump run at 1750 RPM will use around 1/4 the electricity of a single speed pump (which runds at 3450 RPM) for the same pump run times.
This is all very helpful. Thank you!
We looked at a variable speed pump last replacement but it wasn’t in the budget. Sounds like we should have stretched a bit.
Makes me wonder about having to change pumps so often. We’ve had two in the past 6 years. I think we had 3 in the 16 yrs prior.
Certainly a variable speed would last longer due to less wear and tear.

My PB built my vinyl liner pool with galvanized steel sides. He installed a SWG in the initial construction. It was his idea for the SWG. At the time, I didn't know much about pools. That was back in 2006. The pool is still in operation.

Last edited:
for pumps watts is not linear with rpm but almost exponential. For my 3hp VS pump 1000 rpm is 74 watts. 2400 rpm is 1200 watts. I’ve never run it up to the 3450 max to see.

The larger the VS pump the lower rpm you can run it - they are more efficient at lower speeds.

It might be eye opening for you to google an electricity calculator and enter your single speed pump wattage and run time and electricity cost. The operating savings might pay for a new pump in a season or so…

I run my 3 hp VS 24/7 at 1000 rpm for $15-20 a month…

Reactions: proavia
Low TA, low CH. She also has an auto cover which helps.

How much fill water do you use? What is the chemistry of your fill water (TA, CH).
We used fill once this year due to rain.
Average year isn’t much. Maybe once or twice a month.
Tap TA is 100
Pool TA is 40- my pools happy place.
Tap CH is 60
Pool CH is 20
We stay open all year. We don’t cover.

Reactions: mknauss
for pumps watts is not linear with rpm but almost exponential. For my 3hp VS pump 1000 rpm is 74 watts. 2400 rpm is 1200 watts. I’ve never run it up to the 3450 max to see.

The larger the VS pump the lower rpm you can run it - they are more efficient at lower speeds.

It might be eye opening for you to google an electricity calculator and enter your single speed pump wattage and run time and electricity cost. The operating savings might pay for a new pump in a season or so…

I run my 3 hp VS 24/7 at 1000 rpm for $15-20 a month…
Wow! 😳

My PB built my vinyl liner pool with galvanized steel sizes. He installed a SWG in the initial construction. It was his idea for the SWG. At the time, I didn't know much about pools. That was back in 2006. The pool is still in operation.
That’s great. We’re the walls in good shape when you had liner change?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love, love, love! our SWG. To be honest Ive been unable to test for a few weeks now but I can see the pool is as clear and sparkly as ever. Not that I'd ever suggest going so long without testing. But a family member will check tomorrow.

We go for vacations to Europe and leave the pool running (covered) and always return to sparkling pools and good test results.

Maddie 🌻

That’s great. We’re the walls in good shape when you had liner change?

There was some rust on the sides but I can't say it came from the pool. There were no indications of any leaks in the pool. It could very well be the water in the dirt surrounding the steel shell that caused the rust. Throw a nail on the ground and come back and look at it after 10 years (life of vinyl liner). It will be rusty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.