Finding affordable chlorine

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
We're in the same pickle as everyone else who uses chlorine in their pool.
We keep the pool open year round, so continue to need chlorine through the winter.
Does anyone know if this shortage and high pricing is going to end?

I've been told SWG isn't an option because our inground has galvanized sides.
Last liner change the sides looked near perfect. I want them to stay that way.
What is everyone else using if affordable chlorine can't be found?

Joan

I've been told SWG isn't an option because our inground has galvanized sides.
Last liner change the sides looked near perfect. I want them to stay that way
You can have a SWG. The liner keeps either water from ever touching the steel walls. With a leak, either water will destroy your walls. It's the moisture that's the problem, not the 5% to 10% of seawater salinity.

Reactions: JoanC
Ah, you live in my favorite city in GA - will be there in October for Going Caching 2023! From what I gather - no longer a shortage of liquid chlorine - just gouging! We've been buying ours at Walmart - seems to be the best price here at $5.47 for Pool Essentials brand. We have a SWG so can't help from that perspective. There are some posts regarding galvanized sides with SWG that you may want to check out. Contrary to advice, for the past several years that I stock up beginning and end of season - store in a cool place and have had no issue opening the next season with "last year's chlorine".

You can have a SWG. The liner keeps either water from ever touching the steel walls. With a leak, either water will destroy your walls. It's the moisture that's the problem, not the 5% to 10% of seawater salinity.
Thank you for responding. A local pool builder who put our last liner in advised against the SWG. One would think he’d like the install fee.
Now I’m torn.

Thank you for responding. A local pool builder who put our last liner in advised against the SWG. One would think he’d like the install fee.
Now I’m torn.
Get a K-1766 salt test kit and test your pool water. I bet you have >1000ppm of salt already in the pool from chlorine and muriatic acid additions. When I did the switch, I think I was at 2200ppm IIRC.

Increasing it to 3000ppm will not substantially change the salt profile. There is no rational reason NOT to get an SWCG.

Ah, you live in my favorite city in GA - will be there in October for Going Caching 2023! From what I gather - no longer a shortage of liquid chlorine - just gouging! We've been buying ours at Walmart - seems to be the best price here at $5.47 for Pool Essentials brand. We have a SWG so can't help from that perspective. There are some posts regarding galvanized sides with SWG that you may want to check out. Contrary to advice, for the past several years that I stock up beginning and end of season - store in a cool place and have had no issue opening the next season with "last year's chlorine".
Thanks Geojaneo,
You live in a showcase of beautiful color in the fall. Always a pleasant drive.
I’m getting chlorine from Walmart at the same price. Stores in the area are out and not getting more until spring. For now I’m ordering online and plan to store in the basement. Perfect temp all year. Even at 1/2 strength it’s cheaper than other sources.
I’ll look at the threads about SWG and galvanized walls.
Enjoy your caching!

Get a K-1766 salt test kit and test your pool water. I bet you have >1000ppm of salt already in the pool from chlorine and muriatic acid additions. When I did the switch, I think I was at 2200ppm IIRC.

Increasing it to 3000ppm will not substantially change the salt profile. There is no rational reason NOT to get an SWCG.
I’ve never seen the salt broken down and compared between the two. I’m going to look at some on the SWG’s.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Take a sample of your water to a pool store(don't tell TFP :oops:) and ask for a test and include salt. You'll be surprised at your current salt content. You may already have enough ppm of salt for a SWG. It's probably not worth purchasing the K-1766 salt test unless you get a SWG.

There is no rational reason NOT to get an SWCG.
For anyone considering a switch, PoolStored battled me for pages about it. He had a great system that worked, and he didn't mind the work that went into it, so he wasn't sold on the convenience factor. He ultimately convinced me that he should keep his setup, as it was in fact a good system/method.

Then once I was on board, he switched anyway. It took 3 days to fully grasp never lugging jugs in bulk again, and LOOK at him now. :ROFLMAO:

The only issue I have with my SWG is that its too cold where I live for the SWG to work during the winter. Water is down in the low 50s. So I have to deal with LC during the winter.
Guess the positive is it reminds me how easy maintenance is once it warms up, and I can start my SWG again.
And with the water that cold, I don't need to add CL very often.

This in NO way a recommendation against a SWG, just an FYI, depending on your winter temps, a SWG might not be a year around solution.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once your pool water is in the low 50's, there is little FC demand.

My SWCG is off for about 6-8 weeks each year. I add some LC or (gasp) float a trichlor puck during that time.

Reactions: proavia and JoanC
Take a sample of your water to a pool store(don't tell TFP :oops:) and ask for a test and include salt. You'll be surprised at your current salt content. You may already have enough ppm of salt for a SWG. It's probably not worth purchasing the K-1766 salt test unless you get a SWG.
That’s a good idea! Thank you!

The only issue I have with my SWG is that its too cold where I live for the SWG to work during the winter. Water is down in the low 50s. So I have to deal with LC during the winter.
Guess the positive is it reminds me how easy maintenance is once it warms up, and I can start my SWG again.
And with the water that cold, I don't need to add CL very often.

This in NO way a recommendation against a SWG, just an FYI, depending on your winter temps, a SWG might not be a year around solution.

Randy
We stay open all year and have low temps in winter too. I already knew a SWG wouldn’t work below 50 degrees so we’d have to use liquid chlorine until the water warmed up. But like you said, the amount of liquid is much less in winter.

My PB battled ferociously on the SWG issue before he gave in with warnings of corruption of grills, furniture, scale, equipment etc. None of which has happened and we are humming along nicely this hot hot hot summer.

If you go SWG get one at least 2x the volume of your pool or larger. And if you are thinking of have a VS pump it becomes almost a no brainer decision to run the pump low rpm 24/7 - save electricity and chlorine bills. A single stage pump would need more of a calculated decision for how long you currently run your pump and how big your SWG is to make sure you don’t have to substantially increase your pump time. PoolMath has an effects of adding for SWG that you can do “what if” on.

I have galvanized walls on my pool. After three seasons of using an swg it was time to replace my aging liner. There were no issues with the walls.

• Love
My PB battled ferociously on the SWG issue before he gave in with warnings of corruption of grills, furniture, scale, equipment etc. None of which has happened and we are humming along nicely this hot hot hot summer.

If you go SWG get one at least 2x the volume of your pool or larger. And if you are thinking of have a VS pump it becomes almost a no brainer decision to run the pump low rpm 24/7 - save electricity and chlorine bills. A single stage pump would need more of a calculated decision for how long you currently run your pump and how big your SWG is to make sure you don’t have to substantially increase your pump time. PoolMath has an effects of adding for SWG that you can do “what if” on.
Sounds familiar about the PB although he only replaced our liner, pump and added a timer with freeze sensor.
I dread all the new levels and settings to learn if we do get a SWG.
All the info you posted is helpful!

I dread all the new levels and settings to learn if we do get a SWG.
Once you set up PoolMath with your SWG particulars, it will provide the levels you need.

Be sure to get a drop based salt test kit if you decide to go SWG.
Based on your pool volume and single speed pump, something like the Circupool RJ60+ would work.

I have galvanized walls on my pool. After three seasons of using an swg it was time to replace my aging liner. There were no issues with the walls.
All of you a making me feel much more comfortable with getting one. Thanks you.
Once you set up PoolMath with your SWG particulars, it will provide the levels you need.

Be sure to get a drop based salt test kit if you decide to go SWG.
Based on your pool volume and single speed pump, something like the Circupool RJ60+ would work.
that’s reassuring. I would definitely get the drop test. I’m religious with testing

I haven’t looked up the circupool you mentioned. Many recommend one for twice your volume of water. I was going to ask if that’s what should be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.