hcha2421

Feb 25, 2024
NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Has anyone gone through them for a pool loan?

They were the investors provided by Lyon financials. Pool builder recommended Lyon, I didn’t realize they aren’t the ones who finance. I plan to pay off asap and can’t ascertain that I won’t be responsible for the interest for the life of the loan if I do based on reading the contract & hesitant to sign.

53 Google Reviews and mostly bad.

I would avoid.

1710370572389.png

Customer Complaints
1,017 complaints closed in last 3 years

345 complaints closed in last 12 months

Reactions: hcha2421 and iced
Unless you are getting some type of promotional rate subsidized by your pool builder, there is a very good chance you are overpaying for the loan. Just like car dealerships, contractors get kickbacks from banks to sell high interest rate loans. Check with your bank or credit union about a home equity loan. The rates and payment terms are almost always better than a home improvement loan plus the interest is tax deductible.

I used light stream for both pools if you need a second opinion.

The 2nd time it was quick and painless applying online. We paid it off 6 or so months later penalty free.

The 1st time was great too but applying for that kinda thing was miserable 12 years ago. :ROFLMAO:

One problem with loan companies is that they pay the builder in full before the job is complete and then the contractor might not finish the work and you have zero recourse.

The loan company is only giving you a loan with a lien on your property.

They do not care if the job ever gets done or done correctly.

Never allow a loan company to pay the builder in full.

You need to control the money completely and you decide when and if it gets paid.

Reactions: hcha2421 and iced
Light stream gave us an unsecured loan and we could have gone to France with it instead. We paid the builder, not them. I believe you're referencing a construction loan which is where the bank pays the contractor.

One problem with loan companies is that they pay the builder in full before the job is complete and then the contractor might not finish the work and you have zero recourse.

The loan company is only giving you a loan with a lien on your property.

They do not care if the job ever gets done or done correctly.

Never allow a loan company to pay the builder in full.

You need to control the money completely and you decide when and if it gets paid.
This is another reason to go with a home equity loan, the bank would give him a check in his name and he would pay the builder as he sees fit.

Reactions: JamesW
This is another reason to go with a home equity loan
We opened one with the oldest kid going off to college. There was a $2500 penalty for paying it off under 2 years. It's about what the interest cost for those 2 years.

Reactions: hcha2421
This probably qualifies as unsolicited, and doesn't comport with your frame of mind at this stage. I'm prepared for pushback.

Why the loan in the first place if you already plan to pay off ASAP. What is "ASAP"?

I'm fervently against debt, with a mortgage being the only exception and with several caveats.

I'll always entertain all rationale and justification. I won't judge or condemn. Robert Kiyosaki seems to have made it work. I get it has its place, and smart, intentional use can provide leverage. But I would point to statistics that suggest most cannot make it work in their favor. Life happens, plans change, people are vulnerable to temptation and impatience.

I see a pool as a luxury item and would want to see a proforma on how it's justified as an investment via loan today versus cash later.

Remember that the pool will have its own upkeep, utility and maintenance costs - until you fill it with dirt, die or move. Add that to a payment and you may hate the thing more than you like it.

But. This is probably not the advice you were after.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why the loan in the first place if you already plan to pay off ASAP. What is "ASAP"?
Until OP gets back, we had the money after moving but it would have wiped us out.

There were also a couple of unrelated financial uncertainties going on at the same time so it was wiser to hold onto the cash and take the loan we could afford no matter what. The moment the dust settled, we paid the loan and the interst paid was worth it for the safety net.

Reactions: kimkats
@Newdude you were the exception to my earlier statement.
I won't judge or condemn.
I judged you and hit you with the mallet. :twisted:

I legitimately don't condemn debt for or from others, or folks that use it. Not only because that's shallow, but because I recognize it can be useful. I was more interested in understanding the rationale in this case, and hoped to reaffirm it comes with a level of risk on top of the pleasure of paying to access that money.

In your particular case, my highly risk-averse shoulder angel asks me what would I have done if the financial uncertainties became certainly awful. If I could live with that worst case by determining that the payment costs were not detrimental to my financial momentum, and were worth the personal gains in memories or similar, I would have been convinced it was feasible and possibly even a smart maneuver.

My problem is, that angel has twin. And he lives on the other side. And not only does he look the same, he sounds the same. :LOL:

I have several in my expanded social circle who have played the finance game differently than I have. Some of them have done well and yet others, who for all intents and purposes were better equipped to achieve that same result, I employed at one time or another in their absence of alternatives.

Debt can have different teeth and hidden limbs depending on the area it's implemented. I guess I'm the type that sees the fangs and says, no thanks.
But many have tamed it and enjoy the pet tiger.
Until it eats them in their sleep.

Sorry :ROFLMAO:
I'm noticing I can't extoll without making jokes. I guess that's more telling than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry and Newdude
I used light stream for both pools if you need a second opinion.

The 2nd time it was quick and painless applying online. We paid it off 6 or so months later penalty free.

The 1st time was great too but applying for that kinda thing was miserable 12 years ago. :ROFLMAO:
By penalty free do you mean you didn’t have to pay a penalty and did not have to pay the interest for the original duration of the loan? This is all I’m interested in.

By penalty free do you mean you didn’t have to pay a penalty and did not have to pay the interest for the original duration of the loan?
We paid only the interest for the time we had the loan, and a nominal loan origination fee. ($250?)

Unlike the Heloc that had minimum 2 year terms, there was no added fees for paying off the unsecured loan in 6 months.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. To clarify, I plan to pay it off in a couple years vs the 10 -15 that the loans I looked into are and want to ensure I don’t pay the compounded interest for the length of the loan. I could use savings but I’m already paying half of the pool with savings. Open to all suggestions. No offense taken 😉

Lightstream let us pick the length and we did 7 years both times as a happy medium just in case we needed the time to pay it off.

This is not true with Lyon. They require funds be held until completion and the buyer has to agree the project/stage is complete for them to release the funds.

We paid only the interest for the time we had the loan, and a nominal loan origination fee. ($250?)

Unlike the Heloc that had minimum 2 year terms, there was no added fees for paying off the unsecured loan in 6 months.
That’s ideal! I will look into light stream. Lyon’s seems like they’re just the facilitators to third party investors not their own financial provider which makes it harder to navigate.

This is not true with Lyon. They require funds be held until completion and the buyer has to agree the project/stage is complete for them to release the funds.
The final stage for Lyon to pay the final payment on my loan was after plaster. That is what they considered completed. Yes I had to agree but the milestones are written so vague that there is no way to argue them. There is still a lot that can go wrong that you may still need leverage on. Fortunately my builder was good and I didn't have any issues that needed dealing with.

4 years ago when we used Lyon, it was through Enerbank. We paid it off early, after 2 years, with no penalties (that I can remember).

--Jeff

We did a HELOC for our pool and it was great. They gave us a checkbook to write checks and we would use those to write checks to the pool builder, plus we had some other work done around the house and wrote checks to those contractors as well. While I had a maximum loan amount dictated by the bank, my loan was only the sum of the checks I wrote.

They also had a promotion for interest free for the first 12 months, so that really kept the payments down that first year so we could use our cash to buy loungers, patio furniture, umbrellas, and all the other toys you want with a pool the first year.

My HELOC is currently paid off, but I still have the checkbook/line of credit for the next big house expense. Our 12 year old AC units fired up a few weeks ago for the first time this season and I made sure I knew where the checkbook was located.

• Haha
Reactions: bradgray

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support