Finally Time for an In-Ground Pool! Fiberglass in Houston, TX. (Concrete Deck Poured)

Have a Sharpie Marker in hand to label pipes during Pool School. You can go back later and make fancy labels. I found it useful to mark with arrows the direction the water is going to understand everything.
I probably would have for a more complicated system, but ours is super simple, nothing fancy. One line for water in, one line for water out! And the T for the two deck jets.
Plus, having done my own pvc plumbing for many aquariums, i'm pretty familiar with the general idea of it. :)

IMG_2391.jpg

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I probably would have for a more complicated system, but ours is super simple, nothing fancy. One line for water in, one line for water out! And the T for the two deck jets.
Plus, having done my own pvc plumbing for many aquariums, i'm pretty familiar with the general idea of it. :)

View attachment 478491
Labels are still important- especially if you’re gone & the wife or a neighbor needs to turn something off in a hurry.
I label literally everything- even the washer & dryer, so the kids & hubby can still function in my absence 🤣

Well this is build is basically over (for now).
It was a short one. I'm still amazed how quickly we went from blank backyard to swimming oasis.
The pool was started up exactly 4 weeks after digging commenced and the kids were swimming in clear blue water a week later.
Then we got all new sod, beds with mulch, star gravel, and 10 Holly trees. Still need to plant in the rectangle mulch areas.
May add waterline tile next year and possibly a heater at some point.
Is it big and fancy? Not at all. Does it do everything we hoped for? Absolutely. We've wanted a pool our entire lives and now with 50 approaching and two young kids we finally got it. :)

IMG_2394 2.jpg
IMG_2401.jpg
IMG_2683.jpg

20230402-DJI_0185-Pool copy.jpg

Congrats on your new oasis! Where did you find your umbrellas? Those are really cute!

Thanks! Picked those up locally at At Home. They tilt and are only $49. Will probably fade fast here in the Houston sun but good for now.
Eventually would like to get one of those larger solar led ones for over the chaises and then that one can be moved around the pool. We put in 7 umbrella cups. Also wondering if they make umbrellas with longer shafts? Once they drop into the cups in the deck they feel a little short. lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: elleb
Thanks! Picked those up locally at At Home. They tilt and are only $49. Will probably fade fast here in the Houston sun but good for now.
Eventually would like to get one of those solar led ones for over the chaises and then that one can be moved around the pool. We put in 7 umbrella cups. Also wondering if they make umbrellas with longer shafts? Once they drop into the cups in the deck they feel a little short. lol
You can add the solar lights to any umbrella - check amazon.
To prevent fading & wear of fabric stuffs outside like umbrellas & cushions get some 3m outdoor sun & water sheild spray or 303 fabric protectant. They both work well.
I have always wondered about the umbrella poles- maybe adding a piece of pvc or aluminum would do the trick, it should also prevent the pole from rusting as badly since it wouldn’t be submerged.

The kids have been swimming for almost a month now. I've spent a few minutes in there. :ROFLMAO: Water temp in the 70s is too cold for me! I'll wait another couple of weeks until water temp is in the 80s.

Maintenance has been a breeze so far! A single skimmer and 3 returns with no other drains.
I don't have to do anything but spend a few mins with the brush to get some settled dirt out of some of the corners or off the steps/ledges. I have yet to use the net other than to save a frog or two. lol
If the skimmer misses a leaf or something, Bob (our Dolphin Proteus) picks it up.
So far I have to keep the salt system at 40% otherwise it makes too much chlorine. Will see how that goes later in the summer with more sun and less rain.
It filters about 6 or 7 hours a day right now... i forget exactly when I have it turning off.

2023042517210056--432603577358352780-X3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great! Yes, you'll always need to change your SWG % over the season. I have an autocover so I do it more often, but normally 3 or 4 changes gets you through a year. Because it doesn't matter if your FC runs somewhat high, but never low. And for parties, etc., just dump some liquid chlorine in to pump it up before and maybe some to top it off after. I prefer that versus using a Super Chlorinate function on a SWG and using it up faster.

Eventually would like to get one of those larger solar led ones for over the chaises and then that one can be moved around the pool. We put in 7 umbrella cups. Also wondering if they make umbrellas with longer shafts? Once they drop into the cups in the deck they feel a little short. lol
How's your pool holding up? We are looking into Aviva - Ovation 30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.