Finally starting to fix winter damage

They said ten working days, but that could be much longer on the calendar given the weather we have been having recently.

Today they did use the water hose with the saw. This was the exact same people as yesterday, and they had the hose out yesterday as well, so it wasn't like they couldn't find the water the first day. The only difference was that today all the cutting was around the stairs, in one area. While yesterday was cutting all the way around the pool twice and would have meant the hose falling into the pool every five minutes.

One guy spent the entire day with a sawsall cutting the coping off, the white band in yesterdays middle picture. It was connected with a fairly thick bolt, they looked like 7/16ths thick, ever four inches all the way around the pool.

We had twelve patches added to the liner last year alone, though four of those were patching patches that had failed. The liner was way beyond it's expiration date.

Yes, the ladder anchors are in very sad shape. They are on the list of things that need to get done, but they won't make the current round. We really didn't want to be doing nearly this much work all at once. This year was supposed to just be the equipment pad re-plumbing, new filter, and replacing the pool shed. Next year was going to be the liner, coping, and steps.

Then the tree fell on the pool, the retaining wall collapsed, and we lost two of our huge trees. The filter and re-plumbing can't wait, and the liner was destroyed, so something needed to be cut to make the budget. Now, next year is the pool shed, ladder anchors, and lighting.

Day Three - Plumbing

All the plumbing away from the equipment pad went in today. We ended up with three returns, a skimmer, and a main drain. That is both more and different from what was in the contract, but I'm not complaining. All of this is 2" PVC with individual pipes back to the equipment pad. They also got nearly all the liner track mounted.

They zoomed through the plumbing, poured some concrete to anchor several of the sections, buried everything, without pressure testing, and were gone by 5 PM. I hope their plumbing joints are as good as their other work has been. If something leaks it is going to be a problem.

The new skimmer
[attachment=0:ip9hysn0]IMG_1351.jpg[/attachment:ip9hysn0]
Pipe coming out near the equipment shed
[attachment=1:ip9hysn0]IMG_1345.jpg[/attachment:ip9hysn0]

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 315
GLAD to hear that the work is progressing :goodjob:

I fully understand about financing the anchors :evil: (I owe the IRS $2K this year :rant: ) If you can't afford to have it included in this rehab, you can rent a core drill to get them out and install the new ones with some quick set cement (I haven't figured out the best way to bond them but, maybe you've already figured that one out)

While it's best to pressure test the lines before 'fixing' them in place (backfilling, etc.), I trust the glue - the only times a joint has failed, is when it was a wet connection or the pipe backed out of the fitting, which is visible. I suspect your pipes are fine but, I hope they will pressure test them before they are completely buried :wink:

Day Four

They finished backfilling and poured concrete for the coping to sit on. I wasn't home to watch them work, but it looks like they did some work on the bonding as well.
[attachment=0:2w0kae1d]IMG_1355.jpg[/attachment:2w0kae1d]

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 292
Day Five

They did about 9/10ths of the coping today and a little plumbing. I'm having trouble figuring out how they are going to get the top of the steps to come out level with the deck. That area is not done yet, so we will see.
[attachment=0:332ojtj9]IMG_1364.jpg[/attachment:332ojtj9]

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 265
Day Six

They shaped the bottom and put in the pool crete today. The coping got ground down so the back of the steps matches the deck height. But they didn't quite finish grouting the last of the coping. Down at the bottom you can see the dual main drains, still covered so they don't get pool crete in them.
[attachment=1:2ykx0i5c]IMG_1369.jpg[/attachment:2ykx0i5c]
We also got a new walk to the pool shed, which used to be a fairly dangerous and eroding dirt slope down to the left. In the background you can see some of the new plumbing coming up inside the shed. The plumbing isn't complete, but they are close.
[attachment=0:2ykx0i5c]IMG_1372.jpg[/attachment:2ykx0i5c]
The liner is here, though obviously not yet installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 227
Day Seven

After a long delay while we were out of town, the new liner is in and the pool is starting to fill:
[attachment=1:35kqo303]IMG_1377.jpg[/attachment:35kqo303]
And the new filter has been installed:
[attachment=0:35kqo303]IMG_1382.jpg[/attachment:35kqo303]

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 193

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good! I know you will be happy when it's all done.
A guy I know had a bad hole in his liner so he called a company to replace it. When they drained the pool and pulled up the old liner, his steel walls were eaten so bad with rust that it collapsed! He was so upset and didn't want to spend more money so he had it filled in with dirt.

Eight Day

After filling for 18 hours with two garden hoses the pool is finally full! We got our feet wet, but the water is amazingly cold, so no swimming just yet. Even my step daughter wasn't brave enough to go in.
[attachment=0:3bbnicm8]IMG_1393.jpg[/attachment:3bbnicm8]
They will be back in a couple of days to caulk the joint between the coping and the deck.

I got the pump running, only to discover that the heater and SWG were never plumbed in. The pump and filter work great, they just go straight back to the returns without passing through the heater or SWG. The pipes were cut off below ground level so there would be room for the new plumbing, and then that area got filled in, so no one noticed that they weren't connected to anything. Supposedly that will be corrected tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 142
Today was the second day they came by to think about caulking around the coping and then gave up due to water in the joint. I was told that the caulk would be ruined unless the joint is dry when the caulk is applied. It seems like it has been raining twice a day recently, so it may be a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.