Filter upgrade options from Anthony Pools VA-26

Jul 1, 2011
I’m considering upgrading from my old Anthony pools VA-26 DE filter. I believe this filter was original to the pool which was built in early 80’s I believe. Even though the filter stopped being produced in the 1990s I have been able to source online parts over the 8 years I have owned our home (replaced a couple grids, replaced the collection elbow, set screw, air bleed assembly, etc).

Sufficient water circulation, and pump pressure has always been a source of frustration. I typically have to clean the de grids more often than I would like to. I often lose pressure while vacuuming. And frequent backwashing has been needed to keep the pressure at 10 psi (clean at 20psi). Annually I have difficult with some algae blooms which requires frequent brushing to keep at bay.

On start up this year (2 days ago) I have noticed leaking from the clamp (I probably just need to clean or replace the o-ring) as well as from the bottom of the slide-value (mainly during backwash). I’m starting to consider that replacing the filter may be a nice upgrade, as keeping this one running may be causing much of my troubles.

Can anyone please provide your input on my decision, as well as potential models/sizes. I’ve considered going to a cartridge filter on the recommendation of the man who installed my pool heater last year. Do you agree. Why are the advantages/disadvantages?

My pool is about 20k gallons and I have a 1.5hp (I think) Hayward super pump which works fine. I think I have 2” pipping but may be 1.5. I’m not sure if this matters.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Do you know the sq ft of your current de filter?

I don't own a cartridge but it seems when you gave pool problems they are not the best filter.

Sand + de top up is a decent alternative

If you don't mind handling de and cleaning your grids I would go back with de filter.

Bigger filter the better no matter what kind.

Algae blooms are filter plugging are always chemistry problems

Thanks for the input. As far as determining when it’s time to replace the old Anthony Apollo filter - is there any criteria? Or are the new ones just going to do a better job, making it worth it from an ease of management. Or should I just keep running the old one until it’s leaking and not holding pressure? What are the signs that a filters days are numbered?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.