Omaha/ne
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My pump is tripping breaker immediately on attempt to start the pump. Pentair equipment. Did get 1-1.5 inches of rain today. Also have had problems with salt cell acting strange over last month. Flow light often red but does turn green eventually (sometimes hour or more) and then will go back to red off and on. Cleaned cell, water pressure is very good when pump was running. Just seems something goofy with flow switch but sharing this just in case I have some weird electrical issues going on. Had panel display replaced in April because lightning strike fried it. Everything seemed to be working for 2 months except salt cell issues mentioned above. Thoughts on what might be going on and what to check first? Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Between flooding, a questionable cell, and lightening strike, you have a few things going on. Best to take it one thing at a time in an effort to systematically find the culprit. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the cell tripping the breaker at the moment and focus more on the pump. How old is your pump? Make sure the motor area is dry. You may want to take the rear cover off (power OFF) and inspect to ensure there isn't still some residual moisture in the motor casing. Maybe blow some compressed air inside. Check all pump wiring for good/tight connections and no signs of arcing. If you had am amp meter you could check the amperage draw wen the pump tries to start since that seems to be a factor. Breakers also go bad at times, so you can't rule that out. Also check to see if the motor is rotating freely with no resistance by either moving the impeller with your finger tips or turning the motor from the shaft at the rear after removing teh casing cover.

Your Intellitouch panel is new, so I would hope that is all good, but you may need to come back to that area as well. You might

I have little knowledge of electrical work and not much of a do it yourself mechanic. Pulled back plastic cover off. Is the back cover you are suggesting I remove. I see motor shaft and wiring. Looks very dry in that portion. A lot of dust and cobwebs. I can turn the motor shaft from the rear. It seems to move freely (takes a little effort but moves smoothly). Next steps?

Never mind. Remembered I had an extra capacitor I bought a few years back and swapped in the new and, presto, it is now working. Thanks for your help though. Fingers crossed there isn’t something more going on and another one goes.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.