Filter pressure guage reads 40 psi when running, normal? (SOLVED)

Re: Filter pressure guage reads 40 psi when running, normal?

Those jets can be removed? I will look into them tomorrow as I plan to hop into the pool. Of note, our pool returns are the same device as the spa jets, some sort of wall flush adjustable device.

Also of note, when the pump shuts off its program (running 100 pool in and 100 pool out), it kicks water out of the skimmer (floods onto the cement a bit) and the basket and little flapper valve at the bottom of the skimmer pit are all jumbled about.

Re: Should I be able to pull from my spa and pool at the same time?

The eyeballs in the spa are not the jet nozzles. The jets are deep in the plumbing in the spa wall and are likely 1/4-7/16".

If you pull 100% from the spa, you'd need to return 100% to the spa. If not, the spa water level will drop and eventually run the pump dry. Full spa suction and full spa return is how you use the spa. You should never have the suction valve anywhere other than full pool or full spa.

A spa make up is a line that bypasses the pool/spa return valve to allow a small amount of water to be sent to the spa while in normal circulation/filtration mode. It isn't necessary but in this case it would make it easy to send a small amount of water to the spa.

- As far as I know there is just the ONE line coming out of the pump-filter-heater and then that line can be sent either to spa or pool (and then for pool to returns or vertical descents).

- People on here have told me not to do a ratio of intake and only 1 or the other, but my reasoning was that the spa should be filtered at the same time as the pool (made sense to me) during the regular scheduled daily sequence.

- The reason I've asked about the suction being 50/50 or so etc. is because everyone I know does it. None of their spas drain when set to 100% spa return as mine does.

- Any time I'm talking about the spa draining the return is set 100% to the spa.

Here are photos of my spa before they shot the gunite, are the jets somewhere in this? I never noticed anything other than the PVC... I think.

Attached_Photo_1.jpg

P7260362_1.jpg

Of note near the equipment pad is a tall pipe that he drilled holes into the top of (the aerator). The startup guy said something was wrong because he was getting no suction through the drilled holes. I don't know where that taps into the return system as it just sticks out of the ground (top center behind the conduit in the 1st photo I posted several posts back).

Also of note, when the pump shuts off its program (running 100 pool in and 100 pool out), it kicks water out of the skimmer (floods onto the cement a bit) and the basket and little flapper valve at the bottom of the skimmer pit are all jumbled about.
That’s from the 40 psi of compressed water and air in the system decompressing and coming out the only available way. Most likely, the returns are somehow almost completely blocked.

If the spa is raised at all higher than the pool at your friends houses then what you describe is not possible. If the spas are level with the pool then they can do whatever they want.

The nozzles are in the tees where the air line meets the spa return line right before the stubs that protruded from the gunite. You usually need to use a ratchet extension and a 9/16 socket to get in deep enough to unscrew the jets.

Just because you are not pulling water from the spa does not mean that you are not filtering the water. The water entering the spa displaces what is currently in the spa and pushes it out over the spillway. I run my spillway 30 minutes per day and in that time I supply nearly 2x the volume of the spa (2 full turnovers) while never touching the spa suction. I couldn't dream of doing that same volume exchange in the pool so I guess one could argue my spa water is much cleaner than the pool. Turnovers mean nothing in the pool anyway so as long as the pool and spa are clear there is nothing to worry about.

You either have your valves turned the wrong way or you have a very serious issue with your plumbing. What you are describing is not possible.

Post a picture with what you are saying is full pool suction, full pool return and full spa suction and full spa return. I'm thinking you just have something backwards.

Of note in another thread, I posted that when the pump turns off of its program (pool 100 in, pool 100 out), it gushes water out of the skimmer (onto the cement) and jumbles up the basket and little flapper valve that sit in the skimmer pit.

Here is Spa 100 in, Spa 100 out-
PA230447.jpg

Here is Pool 100 in, Pool 100 out (this is as it is set right now for the program to run tomorrow morning)-
PA230446.jpg

So one of the lines running around in the spa is just air? Also wow, if those are the jets, that is indeed way in there, pain in the butt to work with them. Could it be possible they're closed ~90% or something? Of note our plumber did not leave anything set for pool filling (the valves just posted in the photos, the pump itself, the 'drain spigot' etc.)

I see what you mean about turn over in the spa etc... we'll likely run the pool return to the spa for the cascade to run for aesthetic reasons so I will not run it at 50/50, I can get what you mean about the spa not needed suction. My friends pools are all level (ones is 1 step up). I would just think that knowing how this system would work, there's be a stop valve or something to prohibit water going into the pool.

Water is in-compressible so it is the air which expands and pushes the water out of the skimmer when the pump shuts off. Normally, in a properly working system, there is no air in the filter so that should not happen. However, it does mean that you probably have an air leak in the suction side of the plumbing somewhere so the filter is filling up with air. Can you see any air in the pump basket when the pump is running?

mod note: I merged the thread about filter psi and pumping from pool and spa. There is too much crossover posting in the two threads. I think it will be less confusing to have the issue worked as one big problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks, yeah, in hindsight I should've made just one big 'concern' thread.

Yes there is a bit of air in the top of the basket when the pump is running. When the system turns on and 'primes' it whooshes quite a bit and bubbles all over the place.

SO, I just ran the filter at different speeds and settings, here's the results-

View attachment 55223

Of note as is usual now, the "100 pool, 100 pool, 3100rpm" and "100 pool, 100 spa, 3450rpm" gushed out water from the skimmer onto the patio when I turned the pump off.

The plumber is coming out tomorrow apparently to work with the spa... any suggestions on what I should mention to him?

I have a question. Why is there sand and gravel in your Cartridge filter housing? That seems to me like there just might be more in other parts of your system...

The startup guy said it's normal because it's a new pool. As far as I'm concerened right now, the entire system is screwed up. I just got a vacuum brush, and hooked it up, spent half an hour vacuuming and trying to get debris out of the pool... had to place the brush directly on top,centered, of a leaf to suck it up... the brush has suction, I felt it, is this normal? I then brushed with the regular brush afterwards and plaster dust wafted up all over the pool... I don't think I sucked up any plaster dust at all with the vacuum. Of course too, as soon as I turned off the pump to take out the hose and put the skimmer back together, the system shoved the hose out of the skimmer and spit a ton of leaved and junk back into the pool from the skimmer. Great.

Sorry about the attachment, try this?-

10-24-16_PSI.png

Have you tried running without the filters for a little while. Like maybe 10 mins? What is the pressure then?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I've missed it, but that is the first time I've ever heard of gravel and sand being normal. That means it had to go through the piping, the pump basket, pump impeller and then into the filter body.

I'll put it this way, I do not trust my PB as much as a mosquito in a hot church.

Run without the filters? So, take the filters out of the capsule and then run it? Ugh, so much work to take that thing apart...

I still say it would be good to remove the eyeballs from the pool returns and the jets in the spa to check for debris behind them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.