Filter pressure doubles in less than 24hours

Thanks. Just so I do this correctly...Should I get the CYA up before I shock? Once I do the shock process of every 2 hours of test and dose, at what point do I stop and know that all the algae (or whatever is clogging the filter) is gone?

Put the CYA in first, then start the shock process based on 30 ppm CYA (Chlorine/CYA chart)

Once your pool is crystal clear, perform the OCLT to see if you meet these criteria...
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Then you are done.

Great - thank you. Suggestion on what to use for CYA? I usually buy my chemicals (at least used to until BBB) at Leslie's. I just feel like they try to sell me on everything when I'm there so just want to make sure I get the right product to get my CYA to the right level.

Pool water is crystal clear this morning. I haven't done the full shock process yet but will on Thursday. I added the CYA last night and CYA is now at 40. The pressure is holding at 15 since yesterday. First time in a very long time that the pressure has not increased significantly in 24 hours. Thank you for this awesome site and thank you both (Dave S and Richard320) for your great advice and quick responses.

I'm having another problem with my heater and my pool cleaner. Do I start another post or can I ask the question here?

ARSayeed said:
Pool water is crystal clear this morning. I haven't done the full shock process yet but will on Thursday. I added the CYA last night and CYA is now at 40. The pressure is holding at 15 since yesterday. First time in a very long time that the pressure has not increased significantly in 24 hours. Thank you for this awesome site and thank you both (Dave S and Richard320) for your great advice and quick responses.

I'm having another problem with my heater and my pool cleaner. Do I start another post or can I ask the question here?
If it's a new topic, a new thread is appropriate. Have you tried the search feature? Whatever the problem is, you're probably not the first to have it.

Update and need help with my spa water chemistry - something is really wrong!!

My pool water has never looked better!! Tests are all within normal ranges. I went away yesterday for a quick business trip and the FC level is holding at 6 tonight and the pressure is steady at 14!!! I haven't one the shock process yet but will do that tomorrow just to make sure everything is out.

My spa is a different story....Its on a separate system and the heater is almost always on to keep the temp at 101-104 (depending on if my kids are going in or my wife :). Before I left yesterday I put 3" chlorine tablets in a floating chlorinator because I knew the chlorine levels wouldn't hold. When I did the FC, CC, TC test tonight with the TFT100, I'm getting very weird results - when I put the R-0003 in, the water immediately turned a dark brown (never happened before). When I put the R-0871 in, the color did not go back to clear. Here's a set of full test results:

FC = 0
CC = ?
TC = ?
PH = 6.8 or lower
TA = color never turned red after a lot of drops. Very light green when I added R-0008.
CYA = 100 (below the 100 line)
CH = 450? The color turned clear and never went to blue

Do I need to just drain it and start over? What is the best method to keep water balanced in a spa that is always hot?

PHLe4XjOAsQeoK6ocrQc650KvdhrhYBUowvjdfHRXHw

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!! Pool looks and feels amazing!! Let me know if you can see the pic above...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.