firstpool2020

Jul 5, 2020
Kentucky
When I backwash, I lose some filter media. This year I was going to change it out but after some research it seems that I just need to top up my filter. I bought some filter sand (aquaquartz) assuming it was same thing, but upon getting it in, I notice it looks different (and smaller) than what is backwashed out. Picture of what is backwashed out are attached.

My questions are:
- Are my assumptions correct that this is glass filter media?
- If it is glass, why is it bigger than the aquaquartz?
- If I want to top up my sand filter can I top it up with the aqua quartz if this is what is in it or do I need to do a full change/get the same stuff as is in it currently?
- How do I know how much to put in the sand filter to top it up?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
When I backwash, I lose some filter media. This year I was going to change it out but after some research it seems that I just need to top up my filter. I bought some filter sand (aquaquartz) assuming it was same thing, but upon getting it in, I notice it looks different (and smaller) than what is backwashed out. Picture of what is backwashed out are attached.

My questions are:
- Are my assumptions correct that this is glass filter media?
- If it is glass, why is it bigger than the aquaquartz?
- If I want to top up my sand filter can I top it up with the aqua quartz if this is what is in it or do I need to do a full change/get the same stuff as is in it currently?
- How do I know how much to put in the sand filter to top it up?
Glass media is close to the same size as sand (at least mine is). If you overfill the filter, some media will get flushed out in backwash. Are you sure the filter is low?

Glass media is close to the same size as sand (at least mine is). If you overfill the filter, some media will get flushed out in backwash. Are you sure the filter is low?
The stuff that is coming out of the backwash is much bigger that the aquaquartz bags I just got in. The aquaquatz is really like sand, where as what I assume is glass media is almost like small grains. It reminds me of the stuff you get in silica bags with things to keep moisture out. As for being sure it is low, I am not sure. I assumed that as some has come out that it may need more adding.

The stuff that is coming out of the backwash is much bigger that the aquaquartz bags I just got in. The aquaquatz is really like sand, where as what I assume is glass media is almost like small grains. It reminds me of the stuff you get in silica bags with things to keep moisture out. As for being sure it is low, I am not sure. I assumed that as some has come out that it may need more adding.
I get some out of mine from time to time since it was brand new and full. There should be a mark in the manual or on the inside that indicates how full it should be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.