Filter makes gurgling noise when pressure is lowered

r&r

Feb 20, 2014
Halifax, VA
So my filter makes noise like there is air in the valve only when I am not sending the return water through the pool heater.

From my filter i can either send the water through the heater or straight out to the pool.
Whenever I close off the heater and send the water straight out to the pool I get a drop of a couple pounds of pressure on the filter and the air noise starts up. So I always just ran the water though the heater first then out to the pool.

Now my heater has started to leak and I can no longer send water underpressure to it without a wet pool house.

I never used the heater and don't plan on buying a new one, but I can't stand that air gurgling sound in the filter it makes as much noise as the pump does in first place.

Any Ideas on how to stop this?

Air can only enter the system from the suction side.....from the skimmers to the pump.....nowhere else.

A pressure drop when you close the heater indicates increased flow which makes sense.

Since there is NO air entering (Look again at the pump basket lid when the pump is running) then it would seem your noise is coming from some source other than air. What that might be I have no idea.

If you shut off the pump, does the pump basket stay full of water for 12 hours or so or does it slowly fill with air?

Welcome to TFP.

What filter do you have. It always helps to know what equipment we're dealing with. It would be good if you could put your equipment info in your sig so it'd be available all the time.

There are reports of filters making a noise under high flow rates, but without knowing which filter you have I don't know if it's one of them.

The system stays primed so that would make me think it is something other then air making the noise but air gurgling is what it sounds like.

Maybe something in the filter starts rattling around like larger pieces of sand or pebbles? I've tried to clean that stuff off the top buts its a mighty hard process.

Its a hayward sand filter don't know the exact model right now. Hayward pump 1.5hp. Sta-rite heater. pool is 17x37 grecian.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When bypassing the heater and seeing the lower filter pressure, that means you are likely increasing the flow rate. Since it does not sound like you are actually seeing any air anywhere, I think Dave is likely right that something is "rattling" in the filter at the higher flow rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.