Filter Gushing Water

That brings up another question. After I add the DE, I immediately add the bleach to start fighting the algae? I am guessing that is the process, and then, when the DE clogs the filter, I start the Backwash. Correct?

So, I am guessing that the backwash does not affect the pool contents, is that correct?
And, when I am finished backwashing, I add DE again, and continue the bleaching process as before. is that correct? Sort of like - rinse, repeat, rinse repeat :)

Yes to the bleach and backwashing questions.

The TF-100 is sold by tftestkits.net out of NC and redistributed by poolsupplyworld.com out of CA. Same price, but more options for refills like the XL option the first.

You are not wearing out your welcome. Quite the contrary as a matter of fact. Also you dont want to leave the pool empty over the winter. Order the test kit, stock up on bleach or liquid chlorine (check your hardware store for 5 gallon jugs) and ask away. Rest assured your pool will be clean within a couple of weeks and you will begin to understand the chemistry. And stay out of the pool store and follow our advice!

If you're worried it clogs too fast you can put the multiport in recirculate at night so you don't run the risk of building up too much pressure when you aren't around to monitor it.
You want to have it filtering as much as possible to make the water clear up faster.

Got called out of town this past week and didn't gt started on the filter until this morning. Went outside to the filter and got the spring nut on the clamp loosened until it was as far as it would go. Then could not budge the top of the filter to take it off. Used a mallet to tap all around the sides of the lid, but still as tight as a barrel (I mean this thing is like glued tight). Not sure what I need to do to get the lid off. Any suggestions?

So you got the band off?
I have heard some people turn the pump on for a second and let the top pop off. Be careful, though.
Might want the clamp on loosely so the lid does not go flying ... I am not sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Feel free to ask as much and as often as you need to. It's how you learn to take care of your pool and that's what the forum is here to support.

Got the filter cleaned (man, that thing was a huge mess, so gummed up with a ton of green looking gunk, no wonder it was spewing water out the top ). Anyway, started the pump, no leaks around the pump/filter area, added the DE, filter humming like a well oiled machine should, pool water is circulating again, pressure gauge holding steady at about 20%. All systems go at this point. Now, had to add some more water to the pool as it had gone down quiet a bit. Probably from the last time it was backwashed. Now, my question is, how will I know if I should backwash it again, I guess when the pressure gets to about 30% or so, maybe? What do you all think? When is a good time to start bleaching the garbage out of this algae infested pool, now that the filter appears to be operational again?

We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25%. If you are starting at 20psi, then you should clean at 25psi.

Start the SLAM process now if you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

No, even with the nut loosened all the way, the band will not budge, still feels tight. It almost seems like the band is glued to the filter, I know it isn't, but it sure seems like it to me..

You should release the pressure from within the filter by twisting the pressure relief valve on the top of the filter. Twist it a quarter turn and then your filter top will come off much easier. Likewise, when starting up the filter after cleaning, leave the relief valve open until water spews out and then close the valve. Remember to set your "clean" arrow on the gauge to the pressure it reads and then when your pressure rises 25% more than your "clean" setting, it should be cleaned again.

Irkey,

Just want to make sure you understand that the pressure gauge does not read in %. It reads in psi. So if you see 20 on the gauge, that is 20 psi, not 20%.

If you see 20 psi on the gauge just after a backwash and after adding DE, then you should backwash again when the gauge reads 25% higher than 20 psi (25 psi in this example).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.