Filter and Pump Replace Advice

Would I remove this complexity if I go with the Variable Speed Pump? The more complexity and moving parts the less likely it will work effectively. Don't you think? It is only about $400 more for the variable speed from what I can tell.

$859 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G3 ... KDG42D8KUC
vs.
$430 - http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340042-Si ... rds=340042

One benefit of the 340042 is that it will fit my 1 1/2" piping with no mods. I am also concerned that moving to a 1HP will be the right move. But y'all know a heck of a lot more than I do about this stuff.

According to what I can figure at http://www.pacificparadisesd.com/pool_p ... index.html I can save a lot with the variable (or 2-speed) pump. I think I am paying about .21 KWH currently.

What am I missing?

First, be skeptical of any cost savings numbers you see on many websites, they are typically wildly exaggerated.

Second, I would disagree that the mechanical timers and simple proven 2-speed motors are less prone to problems than an electronic pump that is comparatively new to the market.

You have no special features on your pool requiring special control of the water flow so you will not be using that feature of the variable speed pump. Sure the VS can run on slightly lower electrical costs than the 2-speed, but over the life you may still never re-coup that initial cost difference.

FYI, running a 2-speed on low moved about 1/2 the water and uses 1/4 the power of high speed or equivalent single speed. So, even doubling the run time on low speed to move the same amount of water would be 1/2 the power cost of a single speed or on high speed. Realize too that running a 1HP is cheaper than running a 1.5HP on equivalent speeds. You could stick with a larger pump, but it will cost more up front and more every time it is running.

I am running a solar panel setup on my house that is at least 50 feet from my equipment pad using the 1HP motor ... others run solar with a 3/4 HP motor. You have no high flow needs to warrant anything larger.

So, you could save a lot of electricity money by running a 1HP 2-speed on low most of the time. You could save a little bit more electricity cost by running the VS, but at a higher initial investment that will at least take years to offset over the 2-speed.

Ultimately the choice is yours and we are just trying to give you the facts as we see them. You are right on the border if you are paying $0.21 for the VS to make sense, but with no need for special flow adjustment ... I am just not sure that is the cheapest option.

Great advice Jason. I really appreciate the thought and reasonableness of your response. I think you have convenience me to go with the 2-speed pump! I will let you know how it turns out!

I am sure you would be happy with either option ... just depends when you want to spend the money.

Another advantage of the VS pump is that they usually have a timer built into them, but i your case, you could just leave a 2-speed on low and the just manually switch to high for backwashing, etc.

Also, I have read that you can run the booster pump while the main pump is on low, so you should be fine there as well.

Is the booster on a separate timer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.