Filling pool a few weeks before opening?

TurboBoost

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone and happy pool season!

I'm currently debating my opening strategy this year and seeking opinions.

It's warm enough to open the pool now, but I'll be going on a 1+ week trip in about 2 weeks. I really don't want to open the pool and then leave it "unkept" for over a week.

Instead, I'm thinking of leaving the winter cover on and getting the water level up to the normal level, and hooking everything up. Then when I return, I should be able to just take the cover off and fire up the filter. Does that approach make sense? I'm mainly looking to save time by filling it up now, rather than waiting until I get back.

Thanks!

Ok, well, if it were *me* I would go ahead and fill it up, but also circulate it to get some baseline test results. I'd get some chlorine and other needed tweaks in there and circulate it. Test and maintain it for the next two weeks normally.

Then before the trip take the FC up a bit high, cover it up and have a nice trip. That's what I do.

Maddie :flower:

Ok, well, if it were *me* I would go ahead and fill it up, but also circulate it to get some baseline test results. I'd get some chlorine and other needed tweaks in there and circulate it. Test and maintain it for the next two weeks normally.

Then before the trip take the FC up a bit high, cover it up and have a nice trip. That's what I do.

Maddie :flower:
I had that thought, but didn't want to deal with removing the winter cover twice. Last summer, I found that putting the winter cover on it when I left it unattended for a week actually left it in pretty good condition when I got back.

I'll definitely fill it and take a peek under the cover to see how things are looking. If it looks reasonable, I think I'll run the filter normally and hopefully have a pretty easy actual opening when I get back. Thanks!

Get the equipment running and balance it under the cover. Bring it to SLAM level when you leave. If anything does start to grow it will only be the last couple of days and hopefully an easier fix.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.