Filling now with FL well water. Iron!!!

Jun 7, 2017
Wellborn, FL
Ok so after weeks of waiting we have the liner in and we are filling. I'm an on FL well water and we are seeing the iron color. The pool contractor says not to worry he has stuff that will take it out in about a week. I know he knows the water well since he builds in the area and has for the last 20+ years. Here is a link to the pool water.
JBBxjUo.jpg

What do you think?

I have the TF-100

I'd trust people on this forum way more then any contractor, and it would be cheaper here, but it is diy.

Did he use a filter on the hose to fill the pool, reducing the ppm of iron by a huge amount? If not, he's already behind the help here

I looked at several filters at Lowe's and HD. Unless you spring for an RO house filter it won't really help with iron. I bought the cheap ones that were suggest here and did iron tests (compliments of work) and found the filter kept my iron ppm the same. So I said to heck with it and let 3 hoses start filling her up.

There is a post around here somewhere, they are able to reduce 3 ppm iron to .3 ppm with their house filter and softener, then 3? Micron whole house filters on the end of the hose. I could try to find that if you are interested, but won't help a full pool, the post above will.

With a whole house RO filter yes and the softener may help but I don't have that set up. Anyhow I am well past that point. I've had such trouble getting them to do the work I had to get the owner involved but any way they are called with the correct liner ordered and were willing to show up this morning. I found out last night. I see what could have been done and I did tests but non the less I have what I have and need to go from there. I get the liner cut in tomorrow and the salt added for the SWG. Will start producing chlorine in a day or two. With in ground pools is polyfill in the skimmer the only way to go? Will the cartridge filter catch any or it?

With a whole house RO filter yes and the softener may help but I don't have that set up. Anyhow I am well past that point. I've had such trouble getting them to do the work I had to get the owner involved but any way they are called with the correct liner ordered and were willing to show up this morning. I found out last night. I see what could have been done and I did tests but non the less I have what I have and need to go from there. I get the liner cut in tomorrow and the salt added for the SWG. Will start producing chlorine in a day or two. With in ground pools is polyfill in the skimmer the only way to go? Will the cartridge filter catch any or it?
The cartridge filter will catch some of the oxidized iron. But we were having to rinse the cartridge twice a day to get the orange out.

Depending on the type of iron in the fill water a sediment filter might not do anything to reduce iron. Chances are the water coming out of the hose is almost all ferrous iron meaning the filter won't do squat. Now that the water is exposed to the atmosphere and getting oxygenated the ferrous iron is rusting and turning to ferric iron. A sediment filter will reduce feric iron as the iron is now in much bigger pieces that the filter can grab. Ferric iron also has a much weaker ionic bond with the water so it's much easier to remove.

Long story short you can filter out the ferric iron, the brown color you see.

You sequester the ferrous iron you cant see which prevents it from coming out of solution in the first place. The iron stays in the water but you never see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have visible brown rust in the water it is worth your efforts to try and filter it out.

Then balance your pH and the rest of the water add sequestrant by the instructions on the bottle. Pool water with TFP recommended levels should be fine chemistry wise for adding the sequestrant as is.

Hi Cave...I'm just finishing up on my lunch but someone alerted me to your thread.

Its your call but you have a golden opportunity right now to filter that oxidized iron out so by all means set up a Polyfill bucket or hook up a submersible pump to a 25:1 micron, 10" Pentek house filter and housing on an auxiliary loop you rig up using garden hoses to help get it out.

You will still need sequestrant, but will use considerably less in maintenance and have fewer staining issues long term. Sequestrant does not remove iron. Only filtering, and only when in its oxidized state (yours is now) actually removes some of it.

If the new liner is now stained, your best luck on sequestrant might be Metal Magic by proteam, which will lift stains as well as sequester metal.

With sequestrants, you do not add them when FC is high, and you do not want to slam if possible after adding them as the chlorine will wear them down, FYI.

Hope that helps. I'll check back tonight if you need clarification.

Aa2nieK.jpg

zVH6ROH.jpg

These were as of 5pm. The pump has been running. We added 10lbs of stabilizer (may need more) and 2lb of seaquestraint. We have not used any polyfill. The salt water generator will start to make the chlorine now as more time laps. No test results yet because we want the water to circulate. I feel this is too good to be true. Pool contractor says this is very typical. "Once it clears we should be gopd to go" he said.

If you add
after the url the picture will display in your poat as seen above. You can click edit post on your post above to see what I did to display the pic.

Using polyfill removes it from the pool and using sequestrant just holds it in suspension in the water. Sequestrant breaks down over time and you will have to add maintenance doses of sequestrant forever.

Someone already linked my post about polyfill, but I'd strongly recommend trying my polyfill in a bucket method. My water looked worse than yours, and after filtering with polyfill it's still sparkly clear. Get your FC a bit higher than normal while your filtering to make sure that all of the iron gets oxidized so the polyfill can filter it out, as only oxidized iron (green when oxidized) will be filtered out. Depending on how much iron you have and how much water, you might need to change out the polyfill. Just be sure not to turn the pump off until you're taking the bucket down cuz when the water level drops in the bucket, the iron will sink down and a little green water will go back into your pool. Even if that happens, which it did to me, doesn't take much longer to filter that bit out as well. Only took me about 24 hours give or take to filter mine out, and I left it running an extra 24 hours just to make sure.

Someone already linked my post about polyfill, but I'd strongly recommend trying my polyfill in a bucket method. My water looked worse than yours, and after filtering with polyfill it's still sparkly clear. Get your FC a bit higher than normal while your filtering to make sure that all of the iron gets oxidized so the polyfill can filter it out, as only oxidized iron (green when oxidized) will be filtered out. Depending on how much iron you have and how much water, you might need to change out the polyfill. Just be sure not to turn the pump off until you're taking the bucket down cuz when the water level drops in the bucket, the iron will sink down and a little green water will go back into your pool. Even if that happens, which it did to me, doesn't take much longer to filter that bit out as well. Only took me about 24 hours give or take to filter mine out, and I left it running an extra 24 hours just to make sure.

I will use poly fill if needed. As the chlorine level rises and any more oxidizes I will go ahead. Now it's just a waiting game.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.