Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello again! I've just recently taken over care of my new pool and I'm well on my way to enjoying a trouble-free pool thanks to everyone's help! The next thing on my list to sort out is how long and at what speed I should be running my pump. I think I have it figured out but would love a +1 or guidance if I'm off. I have a Hayward 2.7 hp VS pump.

First, I'll share my chemistry specs in case that's helpful or necessary. Today's readings:
FC 8
pH 7.6
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 60 (I added 1lb CYA, which is a little less than what Pool Math said to do)
Salt 3200

My SWG is set at 10% currently and my pump seems to be on a schedule set by the PB in my Hayward ProLogic automation system:
  • Filter T1-all: 815 am-11:00 am Speed 1 at 80%
  • Filter T2-all: 1115 am-6:00 pm Speed 2 at 65%
  • Filter T3-all 615 pm-8 am Speed 3 at 45%
I read that as T=timer, all=all days, and that the pump goes from speed 1 to 2 to 3 throughout the day at those set times. I do live in an area with a lot of trees and I am seeing small debris on the surface of the pool. It's not super bothersome, but I'd love to get it looking even nicer. I think that means I need to increase the pump speed to 80%, at least during the hours when I'm most likely to be near the pool. Is that right?

If so, I'm thinking I could set it to stay at speed 1 until 6pm, remove the second timer altogether, and then move timer 3 up to the timer 2 position. Does that seem right?

I know this will affect the chlorine level and that I'll need to keep an eye on that too. If the above sounds okay, should I just keep an eye out or go ahead and preemptively reduce the SWG to 5%? Air temps in the area right now are mid-50's for the lows to mid-70's for the highs, and water temp has been ranging from low to mid/upper 70's.

If you've made it this far, thank you!!

Think about it like this, the pump speed should be as low as possible to still have sufficient skimming, and keep the salt water chlorine generator flow switch happy. Anything above that is just wasted electricity. The way the pool builder set up your system does it really maximize the benefit of a variable speed pump.

You have a few different options, like directing all flow from the skimmers, and closing off the main drain or running a few short periods throughout the day at higher speed. But it’s all going to be depending on how much skimming you really need. If I were you, I would try running 24 hours a day seven days a week at a single speed. That single speed should be enough to keep your flow switch happy, and skim the pool. See how that goes and adjust from there.

The easiest way to start, is to lower the pump, speed until the flow switch is no longer happy. Then raise the speed 200 RPM and go from there.

if you could post a few pictures of your equipment pad, that would help.

Think about it like this, the pump speed should be as low as possible to still have sufficient skimming, and keep the salt water chlorine generator flow switch happy.
That's why I was thinking I needed to raise the pump speed, at least during the hours I'd be looking at the pool.

Still need to figure out exactly what keeping the flow switch happy means, so that's where I'll be off to next!
If I were you, I would try running 24 hours a day seven days a week at a single speed. That single speed should be enough to keep your flow switch happy, and skim the pool. See how that goes and adjust from there.
Sounds like an easy enough plan. I can definitely start there.

if you could post a few pictures of your equipment pad, that would help.

Attachments

• PXL_20230517_203855460.jpg
    PXL_20230517_203855460.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230517_203906078.jpg
    PXL_20230517_203906078.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230517_203918272.jpg
    PXL_20230517_203918272.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: reggiehammond
Great place to start is the handle on the three-way valve between the skimmers and the main drain before the pump. Turn that to direct all flow to the skimmers and see how you like that… it will likely shock you how much better the pool will skim. Do you have a weir doors on your skimmers?

Still need to figure out exactly what keeping the flow switch happy means, so that's where I'll be off to next!
An SWG is happy when it has enough flow to function so in this case, you back the RPMs down until the SWG doesn't detect flow and the light tells you there is an error. Then, slowly increase the RPMs 10 or so at a time until the flow lights is "happy" (detects enough flow). Once you find that number increase the RPM a couple of hundred to account for changes in waterflow as the filter gets dirtier between cleanings.

An SWG is happy when it has enough flow to function so in this case, you back the RPMs down until the SWG doesn't detect flow and the light tells you there is an error. Then, slowly increase the RPMs 10 or so at a time until the flow lights is "happy" (detects enough flow). Once you find that number increase the RPM a couple of hundred to account for changes in waterflow as the filter gets dirtier between cleanings.
Thank you!!

Thank you!!
I should add, that when I say slowly, I mean bump it up ten or so, and wait at least 30 seconds ish, at least. When ramping up it takes a bit for things equalize and detect. Doing it too fast could cause you some extra RPMs. I would say don't take this to the bank but from what I've seen around here that range could be anywhere from 1100 to 1500 just to give you a general idea. Yours may be a bit lower or higher. I have my VSP at 1200RPM not because the SWG needs it, but because that seems to be the speed that keeps my system happy with enough volume to skim decently and the SWG operating. I have not tried to see what the minimum RPM is. I've learned here that I should run the pump for a purpose.

Reactions: jodibug
Okay, so I have a schedule that seems to be working well for me and have a few follow-up questions, which include some questions about filter maintenance and pressure. Gonna ask here, but if it's preferable to start a new thread, just let me know!

1. The PB had my schedule set with 15 mins between each cycle. I can't find any documentation about why that may be in my manual or elsewhere, but I've set my schedule to leave 15 mins of downtime between each timer as well. Is this necessary?
    • For example, timer 1 runs from 8-8:30 so I've set timer 2 to start at 8:45. But could I just set timer 2 to start at 8:30 or 8:31?
  2. When the pump first turns on the pressure is pretty high. I believe this is just because the pump is being primed, but would appreciate confirmation.
  3. Speaking of pressure, I failed to note the initial pressure on my filter when we first started it up about a month ago, so I don't have that baseline to reference. What would be the best way for me to know when I need to clean/backwash now? Can I just use the current pressure as a baseline?
    • It's 0 when my pump is running 1300 RPM, which after an initial freak out I learned is pretty normal.
    • When it goes up to 2400 RPM it's sitting at about 7psi.
    • When priming (assuming I'm correct about what's going on in #2) it's at about 19. I didn't check the RPM for that when I noticed.
  4. Is there any reason why I couldn't just plan to clean my filter grids once or twice a season and not backwash? I know it's more work, but also seems like the ultimate outcome anyway. This may be a personal preference thing, but interested in your thoughts!

Asa prior de filter person, I would backwash when needed until that doesn't help any more then take it apart then. When backwashing, recharge DE after but only at about 50-75% of the amount it takes for full load. For example my old one was a 6 cup fresh charge. So my backwash recharge varied 2-4 cups depending on how long I backwashed. After backwash & recharge you can record that pressure but do make sure you track it on a high speed.

Reactions: jodibug

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so I have a schedule that seems to be working well for me and have a few follow-up questions, which include some questions about filter maintenance and pressure. Gonna ask here, but if it's preferable to start a new thread, just let me know!

1. The PB had my schedule set with 15 mins between each cycle. I can't find any documentation about why that may be in my manual or elsewhere, but I've set my schedule to leave 15 mins of downtime between each timer as well. Is this necessary?
    • For example, timer 1 runs from 8-8:30 so I've set timer 2 to start at 8:45. But could I just set timer 2 to start at 8:30 or 8:31?
  2. When the pump first turns on the pressure is pretty high. I believe this is just because the pump is being primed, but would appreciate confirmation.
  3. Speaking of pressure, I failed to note the initial pressure on my filter when we first started it up about a month ago, so I don't have that baseline to reference. What would be the best way for me to know when I need to clean/backwash now? Can I just use the current pressure as a baseline?
    • It's 0 when my pump is running 1300 RPM, which after an initial freak out I learned is pretty normal.
    • When it goes up to 2400 RPM it's sitting at about 7psi.
    • When priming (assuming I'm correct about what's going on in #2) it's at about 19. I didn't check the RPM for that when I noticed.
  4. Is there any reason why I couldn't just plan to clean my filter grids once or twice a season and not backwash? I know it's more work, but also seems like the ultimate outcome anyway. This may be a personal preference thing, but interested in your thoughts!
1. No reason for the delay - no need to keep it.
2. Likely just your pump priming program - runs full speed until it’s confirmed full flow. On my Intelliflo, I can change the priming parameters.
3. Your low RPM’s versus the big filter don’t show pressure - that’s normal. Pick another speed as your baseline, then watch that pressure when you want to check.
4. I do not backwash my DE filter - I just watch flow and pressure and clean when needed. 2-3x a year or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.