Fighting with my CC.

Poolio317 said:
Update: An hour after shocking FC = 33.5, CC = .5

Should I maintain shock level (39) throughout today till the CC = 0?

Side note: Water is crystal clear & blue
I would. And then after the sun stops hitting the water, get a reading and run the overnight test. You aren't done until all three conditions are met:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

Richard320 said:
Poolio317 said:
Update: An hour after shocking FC = 33.5, CC = .5

Should I maintain shock level (39) throughout today till the CC = 0?

Side note: Water is crystal clear & blue
I would. And then after the sun stops hitting the water, get a reading and run the overnight test. You aren't done until all three conditions are met:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.

Got it, thanks!

What is your true CYA? How long have you used the pucks?? I'd hate to see you shock the pool now, only to run into problems down the road due to have a high stabilizer level.

Leebo said:
What is your true CYA? How long have you used the pucks?? I'd hate to see you shock the pool now, only to run into problems down the road due to have a high stabilizer level.

I don't understand what you mean my "true CYA"?.. When I tested it this morning before I started shocking it was around 99.. I've just recently switched to BBB and have no 3" tabs being used at this time.

Does this answer your question?

Poolio317 said:
CYA was 51/52 on the 31st, water is very clear..Haven't ever done OCLT test.
Poolio317 said:
So unless I did the last CYA test wrong on 5/31 (which read 52) my CYA was 99 this morning..

There's a LARGE jump there....and I'm guessing it was an error on the testing. If you have used the tabs for some time before BBB then I would guess your CYA is around 100, and you must promise yourself you will ACTIVELY stay on top of keeping chlorine in the pool, as trying to shock a pool with a CYA level of 100 is a pain. It will really benefit you to lower your CYA level to around 40 to help your day to day running of the pool. You MUST keep your FC level above 8 at all times, to help avoid another algae outbreak.

My gut feeling says with a .5 CC reading (which could be the same as a zero reading) that you may really have an outbreak on your hands. If you chose to shock with a 100CYA level you may use a TON of chlorine now shocking the pool, but stay on it.

linen said:
Poolio317 said:
Didnt test CYA this morning but was 51/52 on the 31st. I'm running low on R-0013.
Sorry, I forgot that you had already included this information :oops:

Our reccomended cya level is 30-50 (with 50 usually being the best) for a non-swg pool. Since you are at 50, you are about perfect, and I would not use the chlorinator anymore. If you do, you will likely have to do a drain/refill in the near future. Bleach/liquid chlorine are going to be your best choice for chlorination now.

I did not know that. My CYA is down to 40 in my pool and it seems like I've been fighting to keep it clear. That said I really dislike the CYA test its hard to read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.