Fighting Algae for over a month

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
I'm not new to owning a pool but this one is kicking my butt. For the past month the water has been a little cloudy and when I brush the pool I get green coming off the the surface I brush. I checked my chemicals and all are good. So I slammed it according to the pool app. Ok, great in a day it cleared up and all seemed well, then two days later back to cloudy and green when I brush. So I slammed again but this time nothing. I'm scared to over treat with chlorine and damage my vinyl liner. Using 10% liquid chlorine to slam. Also checking chemicals with Taylor K-2006 and K-1766. Chemicals as follows and have been this way every time I test which is every other day.
IG 32K vinyl
Sand filter, Back washed it twice in two months and second time the water wasn't very dirty coming out.
Century VGreen 165 variable speed pump runs from 9am to 9pm.
Chlorine 10 and has been this level before slamming for the last 4 weeks. I had it at 35 when I slammed it. Also ran pump 24hrs when I did slam.
PH 7.8 to 7.5 it was at 7.8 for the first two weeks but I got it down to 7.5 and it has stayed there. Using Muriatic acid to lower PH. Following pool app for this.
TA 60 to 80, this changed but never went out of this range
CYA 50 to 80 and same never went out of this range but is now at 50 and has been for three weeks
Salt 3200
Brushing pool daily.
We did have a ton of rain a month before but nothing in the past two weeks and have to add water to the pool. I tested our water, we are on a well, and it's PH is 7.0 It is also ran through our Culligan water softner system. We have high iron and didn't want to fill if straight from the well and deal with all that iron in the pool.

How much would be too much chlorine to put in to the point that it would bleach the liner? Hope I didn't leave any information out. If it matters I'm located in Wilmington NC.

Thank you for your time.

You mention the SLAM Process a couple times, but did you actually pass all 3 criteria? You don't mention anything about the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Each time I test the pool is in the morning before the sun hits it and gets hot. Just been misserable here. Thanks for the links. I'm going to follow them and pay attention this time and check the over night FC, but then I know it will go down since there is green coming up when I brush.

I guess I didn't SLAM long enough. I was spoiled by our other pool where we used to live. No issues and the only difference was it had a D.E. filter.

Each time I test the pool is in the morning before the sun hits it and gets hot. Just been misserable here. Thanks for the links. I'm going to follow them and pay attention this time and check the over night FC, but then I know it will go down since there is green coming up when I brush.

I guess I didn't SLAM long enough. I was spoiled by our other pool where we used to live. No issues and the only difference was it had a D.E. filter.
Don't waste brain cells missing your DE Filter. I love my Sand Filter. I also love the lack of maintenance it requires. Mine was fine with regular silica sand, but last change I went to Zeo.
Without looking it up, that was probably 8 years ago, and it has not been changed again since that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.