Fiberglass Pool Off-White Beige Stain / Hamilton Index Question

Just want to clarify strongly here re:
I thought the polyfill would allow the iron to oxidize

Poly fill, as in pillow stuffing, does absolutely nothing to iron in solution. It does not oxidize it. It is simply a cheap and less effective method of filtering iron (though not really cheaper than the highly effective $11.00 disposable 19" 1 micron filter i suggested) that has been oxidized by a very high FC slam value or very high ph. Filtration methods are "passive."

Coagulation/floc tactics are a bit more "active" in that in the correct conditions, they molecularly combine.

Leslie's Alum floc is, I believe, pure Alum. Alum is the floc agent used in many water treatment plants. My method is based on using Leslie's Alum because it has been reported to be more effective and less expensive...and I think pure Alum. I would not count on the same parameters applying to other floc products of unknown components or methods.

Just want to clarify strongly here re:

Poly fill, as in pillow stuffing, does absolutely nothing to iron in solution. It does not oxidize it. It is simply a cheap and less effective method of filtering iron (though not really cheaper than the highly effective $11.00 disposable 19" 1 micron filter i suggested) that has been oxidized by a very high FC slam value or very high ph. Filtration methods are "passive."

Coagulation/floc tactics are a bit more "active" in that in the correct conditions, they molecularly combine.

Leslie's Alum floc is, I believe, pure Alum. Alum is the floc agent used in many water treatment plants. My method is based on using Leslie's Alum because it has been reported to be more effective and less expensive...and I think pure Alum. I would not count on the same parameters applying to other floc products of unknown components or methods.

Thanks again!

Just so I am clear, I will be doing the following:

1. Drop FC to < 1 PPM
  2. Drop PH to 6.8-7.0
  3. Apply AA treatment to pull stains off the wall.
  4. Apply Alum floc to the pool. (Follow directions).
  5. Vacuum to waste and filter out all of the floc.
  6. Close the pool.

Also, what I meant by the polyfil and oxidation was that the superchlorination of my SWG pushing the chlorinated water to the return jet (and into the polyfil) would cause the oxidation. I figured the polyfil would act as a medium to catch any iron that precipitates out... Perhaps I'll do this in the spring when I open my pool (and subsequently have to shock the water).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.