Fiberglass pool installers in San Antonio area

Osmigo

Jan 21, 2024
Comfort, Texas
We live near San Antonio, near Boerne, and are starting the process of shopping for a fiberglass pool. I've talked to half a dozen businesses and had several come out to the house and give quotes. It all makes me very nervous, especially when I read some of these blood-curling horror stories about things that went wrong with pools and nobody would fix them. Are we allowed to talk about specific pool dealers on this forum? It would be interesting to see what experiences others have had with some of the ones we've talked to. Thanks, and I'm glad to be here on the forum!

Os,

When talking about specific companies, it is best to stay with generalities.. Saying you like this company and did not like that company is fine.. We do not allow rants that are filled with emotion and hate..

I think that @Texas Splash has a fiberglass pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Of course not, Jim, thanks. It's sort of like online reviews: people with negative specific experiences are more likely to give a one-sided report, while the other 99% that had no problems won't say anything. We've been talking with Maximum Pools (Barrier Reef), Ace Swimming Pools (San Juan), and Pools123 (Leisure).

Last edited:
I had a listing of installers somewhere. If I can find it I'll shoot you an update. Most of them were from SA and the New Braunfels side. Not sure about heading west.

As noted above, research the installer. They are the ones who will make or break your experience. They will often time do all they can to get out of a warranty issue.

We are pleased with our FG pool. Would we do it again? Not sure. But in our east side clay soil it has worked well.

Tell us why you have decided on a fiberglass pool?
Thanks,
Jim R.
I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I'll try to be succinct. My wife and I are both retired, on fixed incomes. We are just straddling the affordability line and cost is extremely important. From what I've read, it appears that gunite pools require more and more frequent maintenance, fiddling with chemistry, cleaning, etc. The robot cleaner has to run 7 days a week, the whole pool has to be cleaned at least once a week, etc. We will NOT use a pool cleaning service, it's just not affordable ($150-$200 a month), so I will have 100% responsiblity for all pool maintenance.
Additionally, it's my understanding a gunite pool has a larger impact on your electric bill than a fiberglass pool; that in itself is a deal-killer. You also spend more on filters, chemicals, etc.
I realize some of this might not be correct, and I welcome any clarifying information. We've had some people come out and give us pool designs and quotes, and right now we're still trying to move towards a final decision on who to go with, the type of pool, etc. If it helps, we're looking at something in the 23 foot range, rectangular. We're both old-time ocean swimmers, and like a pool with plenty of swimming space.

I realize some of this might not be correct, and I welcome any clarifying information.
It's all garbage. Every iota of it. :)

Refinishing all 3 styles of pools may break even in the long run. You get longer out of FB and plaster but they cost more to refinish. Bad chemistry will cause an early need everytime, but we'll protect you there.

Plaster pools need a bit more calcium than the other 2.

Other than that, every last detail is the same on all pools installed at your house. (Of the same size). Your yard determines how often you clean whether it's a fiberglass or gunite pool. In the spring and fall there is heavier debris and less in the summer.

You might need a bit more acid with a plaster pool to combat PH rise, but it won't break the bank. If it does, you had bigger problems to start than which pool to build.

That all said, FB pools tend to be slightly more budget friendly to install than the fancier finishes in a plaster pool. And both are beautiful in person, so you can't lose there.

What Dude said! It is 6 of one and half a dozen of another on what kind of pool you get.

Fiberglass=a faster build BUT the installers are OH SO IMPORTANT. You are limited to the ready made shapes and features.

Plaster=a longer build and a mess of a yard until it is all done. You can have any and all design and features you can dream up. Again the installers are of upmost importance. Most of the companies use subs to do their work.

The equipment for both pools can and should be exactly the same. Make sure to share what equipment you pick so we can make sure it is just right for your pool and property.

Kim:kim:

Personally, I'd rather have the gunite. The holdbacks at this point are just what I've heard and read about them needing more frequent maintenance, constant testing, fiddling and fussing with the chemistry, adding this chemical, adding that chemical, acids, calcium, etc. "More frequent and more expensive maintenance" is what I've read a hundred times.
What I know so far about what the gunite pool comes with - and this is 11.5' X 23':

I believe all the equipment is Pentair

Quartzscape Plaster (supposed to last at least 20 years)
4' of decking (3' concrete, 1' marble coping)
6" waterline tile
3HP variable speed pump
Robotic cleaner
High Efficiency Quad cartridge filter
Color changing LED lights
Mobile App automation
5 yr. limited structural warranty
10 year plaster warranty
3 year equipment warranty

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to share a link about the TFP pool care. Please note it does not say anything about kind of pool. It is how ALL pools should be taken care of:

Also note that pool care will get easier with time and experience. After a while you will be able to just look at your water and know if the pH is high. REALLY!!!! It will take a season or so to reach this level of experience but it will come with time.

Reactions: RLP
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.