Fiberglass inside an old gunite pool

JasonLion said:
Here are a couple: first, second. There are others, those are just two I happened across recently.

The first one is in CA, the second in TX. But good information.

I've found 2 companies that do fiberglass renovation on the mid-Atlantic area (including Virginia, where I live). Since you're in MD, I wonder if you, or other members, know anything about either of these companies. I've left phone messages for both of them.

1. Robinson Restorations: www.robinson-restorations.com
2. American Pools Resurfacing: www.pool-refinishing.com

They both lay a fiberglass mat rather than spray on a fiberglass product.

Update on the fiberglass. I've completed a section using 6oz woven fiberglass cloth. I used Aeromarine's two-part epoxy as well as a 3m colored aggregate. Basically, mixing the two part epoxy, I rolled small (6'x6') sections and then laid down cloth. The first section was dismal failure, but improving as time goes by. I squeegeed down the cloth, and after it had set I mixed some 3m colored aggregate with the same epoxy and rolled on a thin coating. After this had set, I mixed a final coat of epoxy and rolled it on with a 6" foam roller. The surface is rough enough for traction, but not abrasive. It is a learning curve, but already the areas that I have completed look fantastic. My final plan, because I spent so much time trying to figure out what lighting to use, is to apply a glow-in-the-dark powder suspended in a clear resin. I am waiting until the entire pool is coated with the glass/aggregate/epoxy coating simply because I was worried that the glow-in-the-dark effect would be "splotchy" if I did it piecemeal. Any one ever tried this?

swimcmp,

Interesting product and interesting results on their website.

For those perhaps not quite as adventurous (or handy) as benny_terry, could you give a ball figure on installed price per square foot of surface area?

benny_terry,

Sounds terrific! Can't wait to see some pics.

In the last 20 years I have seen a dozen or more companies in our area touting the benefits of fiberglass for refinishing concrete pools. They have used the same claims of lower chemical usage, plaster only lasting 3-5 years, ability to bridge cracks in concrete shells and typically offered a 25 year warranty. None of those companies stayed in business more than 5 years and left many homeowners and club pools with a costly mess to clean up after they left town. Bubbles, delamination within the layers of glass and delamination from the plaster are among the most common problems.

I also went through the period when spa manufacturers transitioned from gelcoat to acrylic and had a multitude of similar delamination problems. Eventually they were able to refine the mix and process to achieve a product that had similar expansion/contraction coefficents and bonding characteristics that resulted in reliable products. Controlled conditions related to temperature, humidity along with the right chemistry during the application process were all important to achieve the proper balance. The same set of problems is currently being faced with the application of glass tile in our industry today.

Applying fiberglas to an outdoor cementitous surface is far more difficult than making a fiberglas pool or spa inside a factory. In our neck of the woods, its difficult to even have the right conditions to properly paint a pool with epoxy if you follow the maufacturers instructions.

I would be leery of any company offering a 25 year warranty when they have only been in business a couple of years.

I know this is a very old thread but I too was one of those suckers that was fooled. I had mine done 12 years ago. They are correct in less chemicals and true algae did not stick well to a smooth fiberglass finish. It lasted 10 years but the last two years was just not looking great anymore and the top cote has worn out. My pool was not sort of anyways cracked or damaged before the fiberglass, we just wanted better than the 4-5 years of recoating the pool We wanted to replace the 1960s tiles and coping so we bit into the fiberglass idea.

Well I have emptied my pool and will have to reapply a new coat of epoxy. The fiberglass along the bottom and side walls are still strong and secured, however some of the edges just below the tiles are starting to peal. I think the reason of peeling is the fiberglass in that area is very thin 1/16 or less but everywhere else looks to be 1/8-3/8 inch. Someone applying this was not thinking ahead but who cares its not their pool! So now I will have to replace fiberglass in this area and I think making the glass thicker by cutting a grove on the cement just below the tile will help. I am not sure how thick the cement is on this area but if I can get at least 1/4 grove to tuck an fiberglass cloth wet with epoxy will make the seam stronger. They should have done this in the first place. This is why DIY is best because you care of how things are applied. I fly RC airplanes and I make fiberglass fuselages, so at least I have some experience applying cloth. I have used West System, US Composites, Resin Research and now mainly use MGS (Imported from Germany).

I have posted in the under construction section but no one here has responded. I am not an expert on pools and hopefully get some advice as I go along with my repair.

RCPilot-Vic

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.