Fiber Optic Cable for Star Field

Speechteacher

Aug 8, 2022
CA
We have some variable sized fiber optic strands which are going into the grotto for a Star field effect. The strands are in a covered cable. Once we strip back the covering, the strands get pulled into the grotto area before gunnite (see YouTube video on this). We hope to bundle them and weight them during the gunnite spray to keep them from disappearing into the gunnite. My question is: Can the strands pass on top of the grotto jump rock’s framing/rebar and poke down then be buried on top by gunnite or will they break? I’m also concerned about the additional weight added to the top by people standing on it. I feel that the strands should be fed through the center of the rebar structure to keep the weight of the gunnite off of them. Does anyone have experience installing fiber optic strands in the grotto? I’m thinking of trying to reach the “Ask Pool Guy” who posted the video, but I’m not sure how to find him.

Let's ask @AQUA~HOLICS instead. We know where to find them.

You need to discuss what you need done with the gunite crew so they understand what you need done.

I would wrap paper around the fibers and put bright tape around it so they stand out and can be seen during the gunite spray. Some of them may still get buried.

Not quite sure I completely understand your question, but my experience with fiber optic lines inside grottoes are on the surface of the shotcrete the crews will cut a V notch for the cable to sit in and then put a thin final spray over the cables so they are very close to the surface, don’t know if this answers your question or not let me know if it doesn’t I’ll try to respond if you can give me a little bit more detail of what you’re expecting.

Not quite sure I completely understand your question, but my experience with fiber optic lines inside grottoes are on the surface of the shotcrete the crews will cut a V notch for the cable to sit in and then put a thin final spray over the cables so they are very close to the surface, don’t know if this answers your question or not let me know if it doesn’t I’ll try to respond if you can give me a little bit more detail of what you’re expecting.
Yes, I understand. Here is a pic representing the structure. The rebar for the jump ledge is surrounded by chicken wire. PB has never done fiber stars in a grotto and he’s saying to drop them down over the top of the chicken wire, but I’m concerned about the weight of gunnite and people standing on top, so I was thinking they should come in from behind the structure in the middle between the chicken wire where the rebar is thus avoiding much of the weight on top. We know we can’t have tight bends in them, but I wasn’t sure about PSI/inch with these .5 and 1 mm strands.

Attachments

• IMG_3300.png
    IMG_3300.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.