Few questions about variable speed pumps

bgcole

Jul 5, 2013
Ive had a 18k gallon 16x32 inground for 8 years and all precious posts on tfp. Moved in september to a new place with a 20x40 34k gallon it has a heater, which is new equipment for me, and a little more plumbing. I closed it. Opened it up last week and have had air in the pump box, replaced that gasket, got a little better but still only 3/4 full at pump. Replaced the pvc line from pump to skimmer too (broke during closing). Pulled pump apart tonight and need to replace some gaskets and impeller was 1/2 clogged with seeds. The only place i potentially could have cracked is my skimmer, but that had protection (packed foam noodles) and probably never froze solid anways while above skimmer after snow melted

Im not sure it will fix my problem honestly but was considering replacing the pump to a variable to save $ anyways. Current pump is a 1hp superpump. Looked at the calculations and it seems appropriate for the flow rate of the filter, but maybe a little under for the rest of it.

All that said if i did it should i go with the 1.64hp or the .85hp variable?

Any other commentary on the potential air issue is welcome

A variable speed pump can save you up to 80% off your electricity compared to your super pump. IMO it’s a no brained if you can afford the initial whack to your wallet. It will pay for itself in three years maximum. I would go the 1.65 hp.

are you sure your pool is only 18,000 gallons, your sig says 20x40. That’s closer to 25,000

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.