Ferri-Tabs & Slime Bag Experiment & Review

^^^
The stain started to come back once since my last post here so I dumped 20 oz. of ProTeam's Metal Magic in the pool and it went away over night. I've also put 3 Ferri-Tabs in the skimmer once a week since my last post. I'll continue to do that until the Tabs are gone.

My water and liner have looked like an Olympic pool does on TV since my last post (except the one time). The water and liner have been absolutely perfect.

I've been diligent with my testing, especially for PH & FC. I maintain my PH at 7.1 with muriatic acid and my FC at 6 with liquid chlorine (12% stuff in 5 gallon tubs) from my local pool store. It's the only thing I buy there. Their price is $17.50 with tax, so not bad plus I want to maintain a relationship with them in case any of my equipment goes bad. They've been good to me in the past. I never let my FC drop below 2.5. It was hard and required a lot of testing often and lots of chlorine and baking soda (to raise my PH) right after the AA treatment.

I was actually debating this morning whether or not I'm going to add Metal Magic once a week or wait until I see staining again. I'm leaning toward waiting. It worked before and would obviously save me some money. Everything is so clean looking so I'll spot it right away again.

Bottom line is I am thrilled with the result of the Ferri-Tabs and the Slime Bag. Every time I vacuum I attach the Slime Bag to my return port and leave it on there for about 3 hours after I'm done. I've all but eliminated the 'silt' that used to be on the liner seams every day by doing that. I also used it to add about 4 inches of water to my pool, and will use it whenever I need to do that.

The slime bag is catching much less now than when I first started to use it. At first I would see a little green and a lot more brown color coming out of it than I do now when I would clean it. Yesterday after vacuuming and then cleaning the Slime Bag hours later there was hardly anything noticeable that came out of it. The first time I cleaned the bag after I used the initial dose of Ferri-Tabs I was stunned at the color (orangy is the only way to describe it) that poured out of it. That has now disappeared completely.

The one thing I don't have is a metal tester, so I can't say for sure if my metal content has dropped. What I can say is this is the first time in years my pool's water and liner have stayed this clean looking for this long.

By the way, I add my chlorine about an hour before my filter shuts off in the evening. I run the filter from 8:00am to 7:00pm daily.

My thinking is that my FC is at 6 all night and then drops slowly in the sun all day until I add more the next evening. My FC does not move over night, so it's at it's highest for about 13 hours a day rather than beginning to drop right away if I were to add the chlorine in the morning and let it sit at about 3 or 4 all night instead of at 6.

It's amazing how little my FC changes on cloudy and rainy days compared to 95 degree weather with full sun.

^^^
The stain started to come back once since my last post here so I dumped 20 oz. of ProTeam's Metal Magic in the pool and it went away over night. I've also put 3 Ferri-Tabs in the skimmer once a week since my last post. I'll continue to do that until the Tabs are gone.

My water and liner have looked like an Olympic pool does on TV since my last post (except the one time). The water and liner have been absolutely perfect.

I've been diligent with my testing, especially for PH & FC. I maintain my PH at 7.1 with muriatic acid and my FC at 6 with liquid chlorine (12% stuff in 5 gallon tubs) from my local pool store. It's the only thing I buy there. Their price is $17.50 with tax, so not bad plus I want to maintain a relationship with them in case any of my equipment goes bad. They've been good to me in the past. I never let my FC drop below 2.5. It was hard and required a lot of testing often and lots of chlorine and baking soda (to raise my PH) right after the AA treatment.

I was actually debating this morning whether or not I'm going to add Metal Magic once a week or wait until I see staining again. I'm leaning toward waiting. It worked before and would obviously save me some money. Everything is so clean looking so I'll spot it right away again.

Bottom line is I am thrilled with the result of the Ferri-Tabs and the Slime Bag. Every time I vacuum I attach the Slime Bag to my return port and leave it on there for about 3 hours after I'm done. I've all but eliminated the 'silt' that used to be on the liner seams every day by doing that. I also used it to add about 4 inches of water to my pool, and will use it whenever I need to do that.

The slime bag is catching much less now than when I first started to use it. At first I would see a little green and a lot more brown color coming out of it than I do now when I would clean it. Yesterday after vacuuming and then cleaning the Slime Bag hours later there was hardly anything noticeable that came out of it. The first time I cleaned the bag after I used the initial dose of Ferri-Tabs I was stunned at the color (orangy is the only way to describe it) that poured out of it. That has now disappeared completely.

The one thing I don't have is a metal tester, so I can't say for sure if my metal content has dropped. What I can say is this is the first time in years my pool's water and liner have stayed this clean looking for this long.
I realize this thread is from 8 years ago but I’d love to know if the Ferri-Tabs and Slime Bag helped with your iron staining in the long run. Did your stains ever come back or did they stay away for good? I’ve been battling iron stains for 3 years so I’m wondering if these Ferri-Tabs really do help remove the iron from pool water.

I realize this thread is from 8 years ago but I’d love to know if the Ferri-Tabs and Slime Bag helped with your iron staining in the long run. Did your stains ever come back or did they stay away for good? I’ve been battling iron stains for 3 years so I’m wondering if these Ferri-Tabs really do help remove the iron from pool water.
The stains I described back then have not come back anywhere near as bad. They seem to begin to show every once in a while so I use Metal Magic regularly according to the instructions on the bottle and that controls it. It must be keeping what ever metal I have sequestered for me.,

Oh, and I'm still using the slime bag whenever I vacuum. There is no doubt it catches fine particles for me - especially for a couple of weeks after I open in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.